General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Serious engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Default Serious engine knock

Hi, I just bought an old '89 model GPX 250. I did an oil and filter change and stuffed something up badly. The engine had a bit of tappet noise and the clutch pack would knock a bit for a few seconds until it warmed up. I knew the bike was a bit tired, but I bought it as a hobby thing, so I wasn't too worried about a bit of wear.

When I changed the oil and replaced the filter, I didn't dump the oil from the drain plug. I only dropped the oil filter case. (I am a newbie, still learning) I didn't realise that the crank case still had quite a bit of oil in it.

I filled up the bike with 1.9 litres of oil and obviously overfilled it. I also put about 500ml of Moray's oil stabiliser in it to quieten down the noises. The engine just broke out in timing chain, bottom end and every other noise imaginable.

I dumped all the oil from the sump drain plug (i do learn eventually) and placed new oil in it at the correct level. It still sounds like no oil is getting through the motor by the knocks and rattles.

I am concerned that the Moray's may blocked some journals or the new oil filter. I was going to run an engine flush through it and put a new filter and oil back in, to see if this might help.

Does anyone know if what I have done may have blocked oil flow somehow and is an engine flush the right way to clean up the motor? Thanks in advance

Note: The oil light comes on normally when I turn the ignition on and goes off as soon as bike starts.

Regards
Mike

Last edited by miketb; 03-04-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: forgot word
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

How many miles on this motor? The head/kawi design on these are lacking, so there is a good chance that the oil may be fine but the cams are flattened causing the noise. (the 500's have had that issue at least)