Had a serious crash and have a serious problem, I need help urgently

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Default Had a serious crash and have a serious problem, I need help urgently

F***!!!
I had a crash while doing some offroading yesterday and ripped out my whole taillight, bent my mirror and clutch handle + the shifter(I mean the pedal your stepping on). Now, I already fixed all the bent stuff to the point so I can use it again. I am not going to get rid of the scratches or anything like that but what worries me now is that I have a hard time shifting into first gear. 2nd is fine, neutral is too but I cant shift into any other gear anymore. I dont know what to do anymore. I really need help on this and Id be pretty damn thankful if any of you could help me. I need this bike to get to work because my truck isnt working. I wont want to ride 20+ km in 2nd gear. Please help me.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Clutch is probably out of adjustment do to the crash I haven't seen a stock bike in awhile but I believe there is adjustment on the handle bars. Your crash took some of the slack out of the cable adjust it and you'll be able to shift back into first.

good luck

Old 09-28-2008, 07:45 PM

I tried that already unfortunately it doesnt seem to be as easy as that. I adjusted the cable so it is nice and snugg like it was before thr crash. Could it be that something inside the gear changer got scrambled or broke? When I shift into first it makes this scratching sound as if the clutch wasnt fully engaged. I dont know if it does that too when I shift from 1st into second because the engine is too loud to hear that. but from 2nd up there is nothing at all. I pull the clutch and push the footlever up but nothing happens it doesnt click or resist it just doesnt do anything and when i release the clutch again im still in 2nd gear.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Is it possible you bent the shift shaft going into the left cover?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Shifter shaft bent? shift star not working properly? shift fork bent?

Gonna need to take off the right side case.....either way. Hopefully its one of the first two, the last one will need to split the cases. Its going to take some time better find another way to work besides the klx. Good Luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the bent shift lever. I bent mine and didnt realize it. It would shift down into first fine, but shifting (pushing the lever up) up through the gears it wasn' t acting right. I really had to push it up hard. I was glad to figure out that the shift lever was bent in just a bit, and when I clicked it up a gear it was running into the engine cover. With the bike off, pull the shift lever up by hand and see if it's running into the engine cover. I've bent mine twice like this. Hope this is all it is for you too.
Get some barkbusters, it will save you money and trouble with your clutch and brake levers.

Last edited by dan888; 09-28-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 AM

Hey guys,
thanks for all the quick replies. Does anyone of you know what awaits me behind the leftside cover? Is there any oil in there or lose parts that are going to fall out as soon as i open it?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  DSC01017.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  103.9 KB
Name:  DSC01019.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  108.5 KB
You'll need to drop the oil first. You'll need a new gasket to fit it back up when you're done.
Image credit to Finger.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 09-29-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

This may help. I haven't had this cover off myself, but from looking at Finger's images and the schematics, and my bike, I don't think you'll need to remove the left side casing, just the case saver and the cover on the gear selector shaft.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-19-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I've split enough engines in my time to know theres no quick fix to that IF that is indeed the problem. You gotta split the cases. That shaft goes into the tranny. As you'll notice, the above parts diagram is for the cases and the shaft isn't on there. I bet if you bring up the tranny parts diagram that shaft will be on there. That completely sucks dude. I'm sorry to hear this got bent.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Had a serious crash and have a serious problem, I need help urgently