zx7r engine knock???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Default zx7r engine knock???

I just bought this 2000 ZX7R for real cheap, but the problum is no one has any idea how long its been sitting, some one said like 2-4 weeks maybe, but the tags expired jan 2007, so? My question is why would the engine tick/knock after it has been started? Cold?
The knock is rather loud and increases has rpm's get higher,
And the battery seems to not charge, let it run for about 10 min. before i started it the battery had lik 10.3 volts and after running for ten min. it had like 11.1 but wouldn't restart. No click or anything when you press the start button, totally dead, had to jump it or use battery charger to get it started again. My CBR's I have had in the past never did this, whats the deal, I love this bike but I am afraid I got ripped off when I bought it. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: zx7r engine knock???

Anything you get for "real cheap" has a problem they couldnt fix. If its just a tick I would saydo a valve job and clean your battery connections. you should be able to find a howto in the DIY section, or the manual, but if your not comfortable then find a freind who has done it and lure him with beer.

oh, If it only happened the first time you started it but hasnt happened since, then it would be because the motor was dry and it took a sec to get the oil everywhere, But if it didnt stop, then see above

Good luck and keep us informed. Welcome to KF!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the adivce, I just talked to a buddy in Michigan that own's a shop and described what was happening and he suggested that it could be the exhaust/header gasket, hopefully, Sounds about right goes has you give it a little gas the ticking gets faster, had the same thing happen on my old car, now I just got to find the gasket(s) and a battery for good price. Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

7-Rs tend to be pretty noisy when the accrue high mileage. mine has been beat by its previous owners, but must have been well maintained to still not sound like a diesel with 30k on the clock.

the ticking can be an exhaust leak, like you said, or be normal valvetrain noise, like also previously stated. i'd a least feeler gauge the cam lobes and check them against factory specs, just to be safe. plasigage the cam bearings if you're really worried...

these bikes are prone to electrical failures, as i've experience randomly going down the road a few times. the convenient thing about the 7 is that it has a standalone alternator thats easily serviced or replaced. the big *** connector with the red and black wires will be the feed tying the battery to the alternator. if you don't get 13.8 volts (roughly) at this, then i'd load test that alternator and the battery... remember that a dead battery will be the biggest load on an electrical system when its dead or the plate are shot from age.
theres 1000 ways to check electrical systems and such. hopefully this helps! good luck!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am curious on this "knock" sound. Knowing one ride like the cbr and learning the zx can lead to some descriptions. Although an exhuast gasket change out is like $4 to see.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Shaw, my daughter's 2001 ZX-7 has had that problem before, and it was the positive terminal on the battery - it just wasnt tight at all. I cleaned up the terminals and tightened everything up and that fixed it.

Does your engine noise sound like a knock or clunk, or more like a buzz? If its a buzz then it could very likely be the timing chain noise that these are famous for. I am diving into the timing chain tensioner this weekend to see if I can get it a little quieter.
Her bike only has about 16K miles on it.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: shawjohnston

Thanks for the adivce, I just talked to a buddy in Michigan that own's a shop and described what was happening and he suggested that it could be the exhaust/header gasket

Where might this friend of yours have his shop at up in MI ? I just started riding earlier this summer and I've been looking for a good garage to do buisness with . It seems as though there are alot of places that just take people for a ride more or less .

Old 12-24-2007, 05:10 AM

Thanks every one for the response's. Very helpful, now I need to do some work.
My friends shop is in Port Huron, Mi. Its called D2 Performance, And they know what they're doin, and don't just take you for a ride, Ask for Daryl and let him know Shawn sent you, He'll treat you right. Thanks.

http://www.d2-llc.com/

Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good luck on the fix.