Knock Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
TAG
Default Knock Knock

I have an 06 with 6200 miles and have noticed in the last couple of hundred miles a distinct knocking noise that starts about 20 to 30 seconds after start up. The knocking will last for about 1 to 2 minutes and then quiets down. Also the bike runs great but the top end does "clatter" around 5000. This condition has caused a concern the bike was going to "grenade" on me.

So I dropped the bike off at the dealer this afternoon to have the service department give it a listen on a cold start in the morning to get their assessment.

After leaving the dealer I researched engine noise on this forum, discovered forum threads from 06 describing a similiar noise. The conclusion with their dealer was to replace the "cam shaft decompression actuator" which is part of the "exhaust cam assembly" that comes with the compression release. I could not find any later posts from these forum members to see if the problem returned a year or two later after the fix.

Does anyone know if there was a recall bulletin issued for this, because unfortunately the bike is way out of warranty.

I would consider living with the cold start knocking if it doesn't cause engine damage??? Are there others experiencing this noise???

Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

My 09 is pretty noisy when you first start it for the day, makes some knocking and the valves are loud. I figure its because the oil is cold and hasn't worked its way through the engine.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
TAG

Just picked up the bike at the dealer this morning. He says it needs a full service including a valve adjustment = $391.00, said the noise I am hearing are loose valves especially the exhaust. It only has 6200 miles on it and from what I have read on this forum, seldom do the valve clearences need to be adjusted at the 7500 mile factory recommendation, because they are within the suggested limits.

I sure this is how it would go, the dealer does the full service including valve adjustment and the first morning the bike gets fired up...it will knock just as it did prior to the servicing. Then I would call the dealer and they would want bring it back in to get into the engine for lots of $$ to tell me it is the cam chain. I feel they just want to get deep into my wallet.

Based on my research on this forum regarding the cold start knocking, feeling confident it is the cam chain or compression release or cam shaft decompression actuator.

Decided to just ride it and not worry about "noises" and at 7500 miles I will check the valve clearences and save lots of $$.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Get one of these.

And some of these...

Then the only noises you'll have to worry about are "the voices" in your head.

I think you have the right idea about the dealers suggestions. Idiots eh!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Get one of these.
I think you have the right idea about the dealers suggestions. Idiots eh!
+1 that dealer sounds like one big rip-off machine. TAG, did you hear a sucking noise when you walked through the front door? Better sow your pockets shut if you go back there again.

Last edited by tremor38; 02-08-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Knocking on these bikes is normal. Its all good, mine still does it after 10,600 miles. But it goes away after its warmed up.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Knocking on these bikes is normal. Its all good, mine still does it after 10,600 miles. But it goes away after its warmed up.
Did you try adjusting the timing chain. I remember reading that the self adjuster needs a little help now and then. Actually, My '07 is pretty quiet. It's no louder than it's ever been at 3,500 miles.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

A problem like this seems to be happening more often. From my experience with a very similar problem, its most likely the cam chain. My KLX would sound like the wrench banging monkey at start-up and around 5k RPMs. After replacing the cam chain, cam chain guides, and cam tensioner, it now sounds great and runs smooth past 5k RPMs.

Do a search, I've done a cam chain replacement post some time ago.
Here it is = https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ight=cam+chain

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 02-08-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
TAG

LearjetMinako, your cam chain replacement post was part of the research I did on this forum, along with deej's 2006 posting and some others.

The knocking started around 6000 miles, but goes away once it warms up. It does not affect the way the bike runs, which is very good (HMF slip on, jet kit / air screw mod and AIS disconnected and plugged).

Thanks for the feedback, just going to ride and enjoy the little "Greeny Machiney".

Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That dealer probably didnt pull the cylinder head cover to check the valves, just assuming thats what it is.... Dont go back there.... Whats the outside temp? Cold? just a little noise til its warmed up... my valves were so bad one time that the bike wouldnt even run, but it didnt make a knocking....

Quick Reply: Knock Knock