Oil leak? tires leaking air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You got an awesome price on some tires so that makes up the cost of the nitrogen. It's still an upsale that benefits the shop, not the customer. I own and operated a tire shop for 15 years, (Northern Tire and Auto, Kenora) and never participated in the practice.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tires

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
You got an awesome price on some tires so that makes up the cost of the nitrogen. It's still an upsale that benefits the shop, not the customer. I own and operated a tire shop for 15 years, (Northern Tire and Auto, Kenora) and never participated in the practice.
Yeah I worked at a tire shop to, I got paid to install tires!

And the profit he made off of selling and installing the tires, that's his business! Fine by me.

If I would have bought the tires elsewhere it would have been higher plus the install fee, trust me I shopped around before deciding, I think your just jelous you aren't riding on a cloud like I am with my nitro filled tires.

I can compare nitro to compressed air because I have had both IMO I think the nitrogen does give a better ride.

I don't see what the big deal is, maybe in a way I was suggesting the OP try nitrogen.....

Last edited by KLX25O; 08-24-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX25O
I don't see what the big deal is, maybe in a way I was suggesting the OP try nitrogen.....
Not a big deal, I just don't believe in it.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 08-24-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting Popular Mechanics article (Q&A) on Nitrogen in tires:
Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires

Old 08-24-2015, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Another good read. Edmunds.com

Should You Fill Your Car's Tires With Nitrogen?

It really comes down to what you want to believe. Myself, dry shop air works just fine (78% nitrogen) and the average consumer can't tell the difference. For the race track, yes.

Not one automotive car manufacturer inflates their tires with nitrogen. If it was a benefit they would do it.

Quote from TireRack.com

So what should drivers do?

Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit.

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 08-24-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.
+1

Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new car dealers

Another good read. Edmunds.com

Should You Fill Your Car's Tires With Nitrogen?

It really comes down to what you want to believe. Myself, dry shop air works just fine (78% nitrogen) and the average consumer can't tell the difference. For the race track, yes.

Not one automotive car manufacturer inflates their tires with nitrogen. If it was a benefit they would do it.

Quote from TireRack.com

So what should drivers do?

Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit.

I have talked to a few people about nitrogen in tires,

One guy recently just bought a new car, and the dealer asked if he wanted nitrogen in the tires?

Why I don't know, but it was a service they offered.

Another said he had a bought a new truck years ago, again, they offered to put nitrogen in the tires.

I read the article posted, and it does make sense, if you didn't have some sort of filter dyer for a compressed air tank, you could get moisture inside your tire. The compressed air tank I have recommends to bleed/drain the tank every so often to keep the tank from building up moisture.

would that matter? even if you had moisture in your tire? probably not.