Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Mmmm...Surprise your Girl make some Good Southern "Shrimp and Corn Chowder"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Mmmm...Surprise your Girl make some Good Southern "Shrimp and Corn Chowder"

I made this last night and just had some leftovers at work for lunch..mmmmm.

We have been having a really good shrimp run lately and it is way to early for the regular season...so I have been looking for different ways to cook shrimps....you know like Forrest Gump.

This one is really good, try it.

For garnish, buy an extra handful of shrimp. Season with salt and pepper, and saute in olive oil.

• 4 ounces bacon, cut into thin slices

• 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional, if not using bacon fat)

• 2 cups chopped onions

• 1 cup medium-diced red bell peppers

• Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

• 1/ 2 cup dry white wine...serve remainder of bottle with dinner if any is left

• 1 bay leaf

• Leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme

• 4 ears corn, kernels removed and divided, ears saved

• 1 quart clam juice

• Water

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

• 5 tablespoons flour

• 3/ 4 pound shrimp (51/ 60 count left whole, or larger shrimp cut into medium chunks), peeled and deveined

• 1/ 3 cup cream

• Chives, for garnish

Place bacon slices in a soup pot and turn burner to medium-low heat. Cook bacon 6 to 8 minutes until crisp and the fat has rendered. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel; set aside.

If you prefer to use the olive oil, pour the bacon fat out of the pan and add the oil. If not, leave the bacon fat in the pan and don't use the oil.

Turn the heat to medium, and add onions and red bell peppers. Saute 5 to 6 minutes until the vegetables soften and the onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the white wine to deglaze the pan by using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits left over from the bacon. Cook to reduce liquid until pan is nearly dry. Add the bay leaf, thyme, half the corn kernels, the broth and 2 cups water.

Scrape any remaining pulp or juice from the stripped ears of corn into the pot as well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes until the flavors meld and the soup has reduced slightly.

Meanwhile, make the roux. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until it bubbles and foams. Add flour all at once, whisking constantly 2 to 3 minutes, until some of the flour has been cooked out and you have a smooth, light, straw-colored paste.

When soup finishes simmering, take about 1 cup broth (try to get it without too many vegetables if possible) and slowly add it to the pot with the roux, whisking constantly until the roux is loosened and combined. Pour the whole mixture back into the big soup pot and continue to whisk and cook the soup 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and the remaining corn kernels and continue cooking 10 minutes until it thickens and the chalky taste is cooked out.

When finished cooking, stir in the bacon, leaving a few slices for garnish, if desired. Remove from heat, stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with snipped chives and remaining bacon.

Mmmmmm

I got extra special treatment last night.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice... printed it off haha. Im goin to try this next time I go grocery shopping lol

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

nice, i don't get special treatment when I cook fancy meals for the wife. And i'm a better cook than her.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Damnit,

Now I'm so fuggin hungry just thinkin about that recipe! Thanks a lot!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmm, what's for supper grampa! Remember what show said that?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

all that for "special treatment" i just take her out to dinner LOL. naw it really looks good man. ill have to have my wife make it for me tho..lol

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
all that for "special treatment" i just take her out to dinner LOL.
Bro you have no idea Cook it yourself....and the special treatment includes the next morning before work. lol Anyone can buy dinner.

BTW one mistake in the reciepe...when it says to add "broth" to make the soup...the broth is the clam juice.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha i hear ya. it's different when your married, cooking it scores more points from the heart. not like the good ole days being single and the idea of forplay was a bottle of tequila...lol