newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: newbie question

aww.. i'm willing to put money on the relay in the j-box. like i said, you can test that if it stops working.. your seats gotta already be off obviously..lol.. but just tap lightly on the box with screwdriver when holding the button in. this will jog the contachs closed without damaging the relay in the process.

when i get a chance, i'll look at my box and see if i can cross a relay over of a better quality. i really like sealed dry contact relays, but the contacts get pitted and carboned up over time with the arcing the occurs when the contacks make and break.

solid state is the way to go. they use "switching" transistors...kinda like whats in TVs and stereos and stuff of that nature. the have instant response time too.. no contact bounce-which in turn created the pitting from the induced arc..

check out my "good things to know post" theres some good things to know there...ya know what, i don't think i mentioned this, maybe i'll edit it and put that on there....

anyway, ya just cuz its new doesn't mean it'll work 100%.

you cant really trust most mechanics. just the fact that he "thinks" its the relay.. he doesnt "know".. yeah, i assume sometimes, but i make sure that i'm right when i post up or tell a customer whats up with his/her machine.

i'll do some research tho bro. see if i can find or make a cure for our problems!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 PM

thanks I just wanna be sure before riding season comes around again,dont want to spend the money on buying a starter relay if its the junction box,thanks again.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

i doubt it'll fail completely on you any time soon. mines an original from 2000, and other that some burnt up traces on the board, the relays still work and all. like i said, i have the problem too, and the 3 other guys i personally know have the same problem. they've asked me about it as well. its a VERY VERY common problem. every 7 i came across has done that intermittent crap.

i'll find a cure tho..