Is it help a newbie day? (newbie here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Default Is it help a newbie day? (newbie here)

I "almost" bought a used TTR 225 last week...and I'm glad I didn't! I happened to stumble into the local dealership and I think I found my perfect bike. The KLX 250S seemed to fit my 6'-155# 47 year old body quite well, and I could just barely sit flat footed on it. I don't exactly "have" to have a street legal machine, but I do see this as a plus in some ways. I'm still teetering back and forth between this and the 300R...but there's a semi-local dealer that is advertizing a new 2006 250S for $3995 "with" the purchase of the 1 year extended warranty (anybody have a clue how much that is?).
My second question is this...my local dealer had a 2007 model that he "said" was a newly designed model....how does it differ from the 2006? The 07 seemed like it would be much more at home offroad than the TTR I almost bought, and I think that a correctly modified 250S would be all the power I'll ever need offroad. I have ridden a friend's 300R...and it had plenty of power, but maybe more than I need?
I live in the mountains of WNC, so pulling hills is a must, but I have no desire to put 8' of air below me. I'm a skinny feller, so weight is a factor.
I ride a couple of Harleys on the street, and do all of my own mods, so the pipe/airbox/rejetting thing isn't a problem.
Any friendly advice would be greatly appreciated!

Snal~

Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is it help a newbie day? (newbie here)

ORIGINAL: Snal

My second question is this...my local dealer had a 2007 model that he "said" was a newly designed model....how does it differ from the 2006?
Bold new graphics & a white headlight.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Snal,
You sound alot like me as far as riding goes. I'm 49, not skinny like you but am too old to want mega power. I use my Harleys for the street riding, and my KLX for the trails. But, like you, the fact that the KLX is street legal is a plus. I have done some engine mods and suspension mods to get my KLX to my liking, but for the most part I am really pleased with it. The KLX is a good all around bike and will do what you want it to. It just doesn't have that 450 or 600 power. I ride trails with several guys with CRF 450's and they are my age. So far there has never been an occasion that they run off and leave me. Seriously, when you're in the timber with trees every 10 - 15 feet, how fast can you go? And also we are getting to the age where our mortality is a reality.
So, I think that you will like the KLX but you may want to check a couple of these guys on the board bikes out...... it looks like that there is three or four of them for sale, with some mods already done.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks Gary!
I had borrowed an older TTR 225 from a friend to ride with a couple of other friends who were on a KLX 300 and an XR 250, I had to hold that TTR wide open in the straight trails to have a chance at keeping staying anywhere near them, but that TTR was likely half worn out. It had been awhile since I'd been on an off road bike, but it didn't take long to get that grin back. Many years ago I owned an RM 250 that I didn't have a clue about....It was way too much for me as a "first" dirtbike. Then I had a worn out Kawa 250 2 stroke back in the early 80's that was fun...later bought a used XT 500 that was wonderful for getting to the trails, but way too heavy once I got there. The KLX 250 would be nice since I have access to several mountain trails within 10 miles of my home...it'd be a pain to load and trailer that distance. One reason for considering the 300R is that my friend has 60 recreational acres in the SC sandhills to ride on, and has offered me a spot to leave a camper there for weekend retreats. The property just happens to but up to a MX track that he has permission to ride on any time that they aren't having an event...the 300R would likely outshine the 250S there but like I say...I'm not a triple jumper. I rode the TTR on the track, and actually caught some air with it...enough to make it fun.
I'd be very interested in a used bike in excellent condition, but after looking for several weeks, they seem to command at least 80-90% of a new price. The $3995 new 250S that I have found is reasonable enough for me to pay cash, any more than that and I'd have to finance part of the price. I have one in college, and another will start this fall....so I really don't need another loan...LOL!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

definitely take it for a ride before you buy it.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Well...I called the dealer that has the 06 KLX 250S listed for $3999.00 and he still has it, he also said he'd waive the "with purchase of 1 year warranty" clause in the ad...so it's $3999.00 out the door (I'll pay the tax in my state). They are holding it for me until tuesday! I have a potential buyer for some of my Harley parts coming tomorrow...if that sale goes through I'll be set.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to kf!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Snal,
the 2006 and 2007 KLX250 are identical apart from some graphics changes. Sounds like the KLX will be ideal for what you want, however it is a good idea to test ride first.