newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Default newbie question

Okay so I was talking to one of my buddies and he said that you can shift gears without the clutch when you are at a higher RPM. Is this true? If it is what RPM can you start to do this, how much should you let off the trouble, and so on. Any help you guys can give me that would be great. I have and 06’ 636

Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: newbie question

There has been a bunch of posts about this subject so if you do a search you will find all of the answers you need.. I will shift up without the clutch on occasion and I dont think it really matters what rpms you are at.. Just let off on the trottle and shift.. Im sure someone else will chime in.. Safe riding.. Chris..

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

YES YOU CAN. JUST EXPERIMENT WITH IT AND GET COMFORTALBE. A BLIP OF THE THROTLE IS ALL IT TAKES AT HIGHER RPM'S.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

It's almost like an art form that takes time to perfect. I can shift up and down without the clutch, but it's much easier downshifting without the clutch. Timing is everything.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

It's almost like an art form that takes time to perfect. I can shift up and down without the clutch, but it's much easier downshifting without the clutch. Timing is everything.
I'll do clutchless upshifts if I am racing, or just out screwing around on my own. I don't do it if I have a passenger it jerks pretty good. Downshifting I hardly ever do regardless, I personally don't find it easier but that is me. Unlike up shifting I don't force it, I just rest my boot on top of my shift lever and apply minimal force and let it drop on it's own when the RPM's match... Go out and play around with it, it won't hurt anything on your bike. It's not a hard skill to learn and like mark said it just takes a little time...

With getting married and traveling abroad this is only the second post in two months! Kinda feels like returning home after you leave for college and seeing a whole new crowd at the local hangout, lol...

Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM

It's a few rpm lower than maintaining a constant speed in a particular gear. Say you are in fifth gear holding 50mph and 5000rpm. A quick snap of the wrist to drop to say 4800rpm while pressing up on the shift lever will do the trick. The key when first learning is to remember do not get on the throttle quickly after the shift has completely. Just start easing back into the throttle until you get the hang of it. Then when your timing get's better, you can start doing it more quickly. The whole idea of clutchless shifting is to shift while the bike is still accelerating but without help from the engine. The harder you accelerate, the less you have to cut the throttle to shift. So if you accelerate really hard, it only takes the slightest snap of the wrist to unload the engine enough to shift. Likewise, the less throttle movement, the less strain on the chain. If you hit the throttle too hard after a gentle shift, it will snap load the chain, potentially causing damage to it.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:42 AM

thanks guys

Old 10-06-2006, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I let off the throttle just a fraction of a second and upshift, and blip it a fraction to down shift. It comes in handy if you ever break a clutch lever or cable.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:50 PM

if you break a lever or cable, how u gonna stop and take off?

Old 10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I pretty much only use the clutch to take off, easiest way to up shift is to just hold pressure on the shifter and as you are accelerating just roll off and roll on the throttle quickly and you will go up a gear.

As far as down shifting through the gears I never do this either, why? Use your brakes, clutch, then select the proper gear for your speed, blip and your good to go. JMO

Quick Reply: newbie question