Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need a water pump......

sorry, you have a sound clip?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 AM

no kiddin. need some serious help on this one.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

are the ribs worn out on the pulley? i take it theres no idler adjuster on the belt...or is there? tryin to find out on the fiche, but can't quite tell..

Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yah, a new belt but still acting up.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

if theres any metallic contamination on the pulley, or they're out of alignment, that'll load the sides of the ribs and make noise.. are you positive its the belt tho? bearing failure is often accompanied by a whine at certain rpms and axial/radial loads. especially if they're sealed dry roller bearings or bushings. tapered rollered, pressure lubed, and constant lubed open roller bearings tend to grind and make intermittent noise.. is it possible to plug the hole up for the alternator and run it down the street without the belt and associated hardware in use? that will rule the belt in or out 100%. if the bike squeals only with the alternator in, i'd suspect pulley alignment, or a failing alternator bearing. you can always throw the alt. in a vise and spin it up with a high speed air tool, or something crafty,or take it to auto zone and have em test it. it could be brush squeal also if the brushholders are not aligned.. they'll chatter til they re-seat.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM

gonna work on that sound clip drag......white ur way too advanced for me bro. never rode b4 i got this wreck of a bike. but i do have some friends an a honest mech who can help me out here. gonna print all this out and bring it along with me. maybe u guys can cut down on the labor hours that the mech will have to put in b4 he finds the prob. no other strange noises or power issues though. Buddy of mine had the same bike years ago, he rode it after i had tons of work done to it. he said it was pretty much up to par performance wise, just the fuggin noise. embarassing noise at the red light, and when I take off. otherwise for a bike that sat for 4 years without so much as the cover coming off its runnin great. oh and im trying to find another smoked wind screen for it. someone knocked it over on me and cracked the first one i had. now im stuck rockin the original clear one which changes the whole look of the bike. looked everywhere and can only find the pink and blue screens. everyone says the smoked black is discontinued. any suggestions on that other then getting the original clear one tinted?