Need a water pump......

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Default Need a water pump......

I have a 89 zx7r. Got it from a friend, he treated it like crap and it needed some work. So after some time and few bucks I'm just about done with getting it running the way it shold be. The only real prob I have now is watching the antifreeze pour out of the damn bike when i run it. I need a water pump for this thing and cannot find one anywhere. If any of you guys know where i could find one or if anyone has one for sale please let me know. Its driving me nuts. Thx.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need a water pump......

p/n 49044-1065 roughly $143 for the H1 '89 ZX-7

Welcome to KF!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm a hardcore diy guy mainly i'm po' white trash, so with this, i found that certain waterpumps are rebuildable for CHEAP.
the pupm on my '94 ZX6-E went ou with 30 k on the clock. the inner bearing failed, leading to shaft vibration, leading to outer bearing failure, then leading to oil infiltration into the coolant past the mechanical seals in the pump assembly.

the bearings cost $16.00 a piece.
the pump cost $275.00.

on that pump..
the impeller is pressed in, as are the outer races of the roller bearings. theres two seals... one a mechanical, spring-loaded graphite seal on the back side of the impeller, and another rubber mechanical seal on the opposite end of the housing here the shaft exits.

i haven't got a chance to tear a 7-R pump apart yet, but i'm sure i wil when i build up the new (used) motor i just got for the turbo setup. and i'm also sure that the 7-R pump is a very similar setup to the 600.

but rebuilding stuff sucks if you don't have the right tools and such, or are lazy. i did it just cuz i wanted to save money..not cuz i wanted to!

if you choose to do a rebuild, you'll need a good caliper set to get the shaft size and housing size for getting the i.d. and o.d. of the new bearings correct.

i guess i'll see what you say, if anything, to determine if i need to take a pump apart and figure out how to do it (or if its possible) on the 7-R.

alot of parts from the late model 7 fit the older bikes. i know the clutch slave cylinder and spacer, among many other parts, cross over to the pre '96 machines. i looked at the microfiche on cmsnl.com, and the pumps are different between mine and yours, but you still maybe be able to find another model's pump that works.

or just rebuild yours.

or do the easy smart thing and listen to dragone!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, wh I hate down time. Yes having a spare to rebuild is great. May as well get another alternator belt while you are at it WarBan.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 AM

k thx for the heads up white and dragon. might just take the easy route and buy the friggin thing. as far as the belt goes, i already replaced the shredded one that was in there after the batt keep getting drained..........only had to push it home twice before i thought to check the belt. we live and learn.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, WarBan, no need to re replace the belt then.... lol

Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 AM

no but its squealing, dunno why. maybe he belt needs to stretch out a lil?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, that is not right.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 AM

no its not. it goes away above 4000rpm. pretty much only hear it when im in nuetral thru 3rd. 4th and 5th r fine.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, sorry but that is not right. Something is amiss

Quick Reply: Need a water pump......