having a go at fixing my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default having a go at fixing my bike...

hello i am back...

people might have remembered that after about 20,000 miles on my 06 zx6r i broke two pistons and had gutted most of the engine down to pretty much the tranny..the engine case is okay....and i made sure i have everything i will need except i need a new ctt chain and new pistons...

the cylinder head cover and airbox and top end is okay and is sitting in a cardboard box...

because i had two broken pistons i had to take most out...i was thinking about replacing just the small amount of parts i needed but am not really good with getting a new timing chain and replacing it...and adjusting pistons and what not...so i guess i am going to have to re-crack-open the manual and piece by piece put the engine together and make sure i don't blow it up again...an easy way i found is if i am not a complete squid and stop trying to run such a modified map on my pcIIIusb that if it dies it fries my bike within a couple hundred miles...and running it too rich...

after a long break of trying to fix my motorcycle i am back at it....i have compiled a list of stuff i think i should need to get the bike running again..

main things are:

regina sprocket chain kit...because it is totally rusted out chain and so is part of the sprockets...

new brake pads and maybe have to wire brush the rotars because of some small rust stains

a new throttle cable because mine was frayed...

my battery is dead and i am going to replace it with a bikemaster true gel heard those are good

i am also thinking about replacing my exhaust with a rs5 yosh headers because my headers are rusted and have alot of built up carbon on the engine mount side...and get a new pcIIIusb...and this time not mount it in the trunk because i did that and my exhaust fried it and that is why i blew the engine to bits... 8(

i was wondering if people think i should just buy a new pistons and other small parts i might need and have a go at putting it back together myself and the manual...and maybe have professional help when installing the pistons etc...or should i try and just have a used engine put in and bolted and hope to god i didn't get something with internal damages ill broken in engine or a fried tranny...

edit:

will also have to replace all the gasket seals and all the valve springs etc...because they don't look soo good 8(

Last edited by adramalech; 05-18-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do get a used motor make sure you get a good one. Rebuilding the motor wont be hard if you have a manual a good set of tools and some patience. I say go for it.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

that is what i was thinking....i mean all i would need to get...is a couple of tools that i don't already have...such as a front paddock and a piston measuring tool...compression measuring tool...etc...

and then if i ever have a problem in the future i would be able to deal with more issues than just the top end(down to the cylinder head cover)...

i was just thinking if i get new pistons does anybody know if there is a place that sales 4 pistons and all the shims etc...? or would i have to buy the parts individually?

edit:

okay so i took the cylinder off and have just the pistons rods and bottom of the crankcase left...i am trying to find the piston pin puller assembly that i need to take the pistons off the rods...also should i check the rods at all for warping or carbon build up..?

also what kind of tool would you use to check the shim thickness and the spacing of the pistons? as soon as a pull the pistons and probably check the rods i should only need to buy the new ones and replace them....

Last edited by adramalech; 05-18-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Your beyond me already, worst I have seen was a chipped piston, never had to worry about warped rods. One rule of thumb, never put a dirty part in a motor, you want everything to be nice and clean and if all goes well you will only get one chance to clean it, so if you see carbon buildup, get rid of it.

Not quite sure what you mean by shimming and spacing the pistons...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

question: How does a rider break an engine on a 6r in 20K?

am still thinking on that one.