Folks with inseams of 32", or more, please respond

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Folks with inseams of 32", or more, please respond

Chris, could you tell me what kind of bags you have? I've been looking for some for my bike but after hearing your review they sound like exactly what I need. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Q500R

Chris, could you tell me what kind of bags you have? I've been looking for some for my bike but after hearing your review they sound like exactly what I need. Thanks!

yeah, what kind and where and how much??? LOL

they do look pretty damn good for longer trips, I'm thinking either the tank or back one for commute for the stuff i got in my backpack now would be good!!! which would you recommend cc???
i heard somewhere that it's better to have the load up front then in the back.... is that true????

Old 10-18-2006, 08:01 AM

The saddle bags on the back, the 2 which hang over the sides and the one which sits on top are Cortech.......my tank bag is also a cortech but I think Calamarichris' tank bag is another brand............I think you shouldnt have as much weight up front, you push down more on front forks/tire.............in fact the tank bag I have warned not to put much weight up front..

I think the idea is to have the weight distributed as evenly as possible to help with your balance as you ride(chris should have more insight Im guessing)

Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jamieislimegreen

The saddle bags on the back, the 2 which hang over the sides and the one which sits on top are Cortech.......my tank bag is also a cortech but I think Calamarichris' tank bag is another brand............I think you shouldnt have as much weight up front, you push down more on front forks/tire.............in fact the tank bag I have warned not to put much weight up front..

I think the idea is to have the weight distributed as evenly as possible to help with your balance as you ride(chris should have more insight Im guessing)

well, i at least would like the back one then..... - not only can you put stuff there, but I found when I had my back pack strapped there with a net it kind of gives you back support as well!!! is the top back bag a part of the side saddle bags or can it be there by itself.... i checked on line and looks like they are all hooked together???

no need for the side saddle bags, but surly looks like you could pack a bunch of stuff for trips....

Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The saddlebags and trunkbag are Tourmaster Cortech Sport.
http://www.tourmaster.com/

And the tankbag is an older Tourmaster tankbag. I like the older one because it's larger (which means you don't have to fold your maps into teeny little squares, then stop every 100 miles to rotate & refold) and has a broader magnet-pad to stick to the gas tank. Seems like all of the newer tankbags are getting smaller.

The bike definitely handles differently with a full load in back (but not as bad as when you're carrying a passenger.) When you're riding on a trip far from home, the natural tendency is to take it easy in the twisties anyway. You can bump up the shock preload to compensate for some of this, and to recover some of your cornering clearance.
The amount of weight in your tankbag really won't make much of a difference, IMO. Just be sure to keep credit cards, small electronics and other electro-magnetic-sensitive devices away from the magnets.
Ride safely.
-CCinC
P.S. I'm leaving tomorrow night with my Pa for Big Sur and Wine Country. I was hoping to have my new 500R by now, but it looks like I'll be taking my trusty 9R instead.

(These are the older, pre-Cortech saddlebags in this photo.)

Old 10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks CC!!!