It's that time again (Valve adjustment)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default It's that time again (Valve adjustment)

I started tearing down the bike when I got home today. This time around, I was a little surprised just how quickly I was able to get everything removed, and out of the way. From the first screw removed on the fairing, to the final bolt on the valve cover, It only took about 20-25 minutes. I stopped for the night, but plan to finish the job during the day.

Anyway, I'm telling you, these 250R's are so dang simple and easy to work on. I very much recommend that anyone with a 250 should learn to do this work themselves instead of giving a shop your hard earned cash for such an easy job. There are no super specialized tools that you need. Basically for those who have never adjusted their own valves, all you need is a couple small metric sockets, allen wrench, small flathead screwdriver, regular mid-sized Philips screwdriver, and a feeler gauge set. These are all the basic tools to fully complete a valve adjustment.

Now, I still recommend you buy a carburator sync gauge set to get your carbs running in unison. This will help to insure a smooth idle.

Well, that's about it for now. Perhaps I will take a few pictures to post up later.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Default RE: It's that time again (Valve adjustment)

would one have to buy a maintenance manual for the actual instructions on "how to"?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

No need to buy a maintenance manual for this job. The very first time I did my valve adjustment, I used the Ninja 250 Riders club website for reference. They have practically all service topics for the 250 covered. Here is a link to the valve adjustment page: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F

Old 05-25-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rooshio

would one have to buy a maintenance manual for the actual instructions on "how to"?
Actually, I just found out the 2008 250R models use the direct actuation, shim under bucket valve design. This is radically different than what our older 250's use. Sorry for any confusion. Shimmed lifters are a better design, but shim under bucket engines do require the removal of the cam shafts to change the shims out. The pre-'08s have a simple screw & locknut over each rocker to adjust the valve clearances.

I don't see an online valve adjustment procedure for the '08 Ninja 250R's yet, but I'm sure there will be soon.