headlight question (HID?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default headlight question (HID?)

hey guys, so i've been doing a lot a night riding lately since its less crowded out there. The only problem is that i wish i could see in front of me better. (lots of potholes where i live) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with upgrading the H4 bulb in there to a brighter one. How bout HIDs? Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

You can't easily upgrade an H4 to HID. You need a kit with a motorised shutter that switches from dip to main. The HID lovers hate me for saying it, but the HID emitter can't be fitted in the H4 reflector to give a correct beam pattern. HID conversions are actually illegal in the EU. They can only be fitted as original equipment, or in a complete purpose built headlamp assembley with a self leveller and washing system - although I don't understand why it needs a washer.

High wattage incandescents are also illegal here, but more to the point, the increased current draw and heat dissipation will discolour the lens and refector, and over time cause failure of the wiring and/or headlamp relay.

The answer is to use 'superbright' lamps of stock wattage. The best are probably Phillips X-TemeVision, according to magazine tests. In the Sates, Silverstars are popular. They do im[prove the lights a lot.

Before doing anything, make sure that the beam alignment is properly set for your weight. You also need to set the sag on the rear suspension through the pre-load adjuster.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the reply, yah after some thought Im putting in the silverstar. I already run them in my truck and you're right, they do make a considerable different.