Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

wow... im liking the powercoating!!... wish i could do that... looks great! and nice site btw

Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks a lot.

Yea, I am very happy with the powder coating. I checking parts out all over the bike that I can powder coat. I might actually get this bike looking somewhat like new by the end. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the complements on the site. I own a web design and hosting company, and I used our sitebuilder software on this one. It only took me about 30 minutes to do the whole site.

By the way, if anyone is looking for some web hosting I would be more then happy to give some deals to forum members....

Regards,

Damion
www.interXstream.com

Old 10-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just curious, can u powercoat different colors?

Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 PM

Absolutetly. There are a lot of colors to choose from.

Here are the colors offered by eastwood:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...mType=CATEGORY

That is just one of the companies that you can get the gun/powder from.

The powder is about $9.00 per pound. And 1 lb goes quite a long way. I used maybe 1/20th of a lb (maybe less) on the footpegs and about the same on the cover. You could probably powdercoat a whole frame with about a half a pound or less.

Eastwood is where i got my gun from. It was like $130.00 and it came with three sample colors. I just choose glossy black, flat black, and a grey color. I'm probably going to be ordering their "lime-green" to see how well it matches the kawasaki green.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dont you have to bake the stuff you powdercoated?

Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The powder coating looks great! You ought to strip everything off that old bike and coat the frame and any other parts that it makes sense to do. That would really go a long way toward restoring a very nice look to that bike once again. I'm sure that would take a very long time, though - just disassembly and reassembly alone would be a lot of work, let alone all the part cleaning and prep work and powder coating. You would definitely know the condition of all parts inside and out, though.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 AM

Yes you do have to bake the parts. For the small parts I am using one of those little toaster ovens that people cook bagles and such in. I bought it at a garage sale for like a buck or two.

For larger parts I have a regular house oven that I got for free from this lady who had just bought a new one. I don't have 220V in my garage though, so I haven't been able to use it.

I am working on doing as many parts as I can on the bike.

I would love to do the frame, but for that one I don't have an oven big enough to bake it in, so unfortunately that probably won't happen. They sell some curring lamps that you can use to bake this stuff, but they are like $350.00 -> a little over my budget.....

Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

wow, thats looking good. youve' convinced me to buy a powder coating gun, im on eastwood ordering one now XD

Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I wonder how things are going? Too bad I couldn't go down there and wire in that oven for him, my wife's dad lives in Houston. But I don't see myself going down there anytime soon. Besides last time I was there I walked off the plane and almost died. Waaaaaaay to hot and humid for me. I was like a fish out of water................OK a fat guy out of the rain forest....but still[8D]

Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 AM

Well I'm opening my old post back up. I got stuck, or should i say "suckered" into another project with my brother in law. We decided to build a drag car out of a shell of a honda crx that he picked up.

So that took over my garage for basically the past year. And unfortunately the bike kinda got pushed off to the side due to lack of space, time and money.

But i'm back, and I'm about to start work on it again. Now that my wife is working, and I have insurance, I'm a little more motiviated to get the bike redone and in riding condition. last thing I did was take the footpegs off so I wouldn't be tempted to go ride it while I didn't have insurance.

So I'll post some updates in the next few weeks.

I just noticed a small puddle of what looks like brake-fluid under the front wheel. But it's not on the brake side, so I'm thinking it could be even coming from my suspension. So I'll probably have to first track down what that is.

Then I'm going to be getting all new plastics for it as soon as I find out where I am going to get them, and which I am going to use. I've looked all over the internet, and I've found some universal type fenders and such, but It's hard to say without seeing them in person. I don't really like the stock rear fender from this year, so I probably won't go with oem.

Then I'm going to go back to my powder coating project. I never got that oven wired in, so I'm going to have to do that as well.

I wish I had more time to work on it.

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?