Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

http://tinyurl.com/oj6q4

Old 09-30-2006, 03:30 AM

Thanks for all of the info guys, and thanks for the funny pics. It made me laff and get my mind off the bike for a while.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it is an 82 or 83. I've been buying parts for an 83 and they have been fitting, so I guess that will work for now.

I went ahead and pulled the carburetor off again and I started inspecting everything again. I found a few things I had done wrong (this is a learning experience for me, since this is only the second carb. I've ever taken apart).

First thing I noticed is that the little valve that the floats push against to stop the fuel from comming in was stuck closed. I pulled it off, and sure enough the whole was blocked up with gunk again. Must have been some gunk that I and the carb. cleaner missed. I cleaned it out really well with a q-tip, and got it sliding up and down very smoothly again. That allowed fuel to flow into the carb. properly. However, I decided to use water to fill up the carb through the fuel line to see if the bowl was filling up correctly, but it wasn't filling up at all. Which brougth me to my second discovery:

Second, when I put the bracket that the floats push against back on I put it on upside-down. So the floats were pushing against the bracket too soon and no fuel was getting into the carb. I flipped that bracket over and adjusted the little tab correctly and did my water test again. Sure enough, the bowl was filled with water! Yay! So I put hit the carb with the air-extension on my air-compressor and cleaned out all of the water. Let it sit for a couple of hours and put it back together. Then all of a sudden fuel started pooring out the bottom of the carb. overfill valve again. I was perplexed. It didn't do that with my water test.....

So off comes the carb again. This is when I found a third problem. Well really it's not a problem, but just a matter of assembly. I don't know if all carbs are like this, or if it just this one, but you have to be very carefull when assembling the bowl to the carb. I was put the carb on the bowl, and what was happening is the little bracket was sliding underneith the floats. So of course that isn't going to work because the floats have to push up on the carb. So I found the secret is to put the bowl on the carb, not the carb. on the bowl. what I mean by this is hold the carb upside down (so the tab is pushed all the way to the top by gravity), then put the bowl on in. When I would hold the bowl on the bottom and put the carb on top, the bracket would be in the all-the way down position, allowing the bracket to slide under the floats...

So assemble one more time, this time bowl on carb, put it back on the bike, but still won't start. I decided to spray a little starting fluid in the air-filter hole (the air filter is gone now. the old one crumbled into pieces....$55 buck from the dealer...that is crazy...gonna maybe look for an aftermarket one). Set the choke and the bike started right up! Wholy crap....finally. I put it in gear and drive it down the road. I finally got to drive this freaking thing. I'm so happy.

It doesn't shift as smoothly as I would like, but I'm going play with adjusting the clutch a little to see if that helps.

So now comes the fun part...restoring this bad boy....I would love to get it to look like the picture above, but I don't think that will happen. But it will be close. I finally get to play with my powder coating gun! That should be fun.....

I'm probably going to strip the bike down to the frame and restore from there.....Probably going to cost me more then the bikes worth, but it's worth it to just to give me something else to do other then designing web pages and taking care of my hosting company all day every day....

I'm going to put the carb-cleaning and float adjusting process on a website for anyone else's future use. I'm sure the process is out there, but I guess it never hurts to have it somewhere else.....

Old 09-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds very cool noimad - real breakthru in getting in running. It's good to have another interest or two, keeps you from burning out doing the other stuff. And definitely post up some photos or at least a link to your web page where you have them. I love seeing that stuff.

Oh, and Deej ... you gotta shorten up those links, man, it makes reading everyone else's posts a real PITA. Try this for those long links:

http://www.tinyurl.com

For example, here's one of your long links aobve, tiny'ized:

http://tinyurl.com/oj6q4

Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Like this? http://tinyurl.com/flh2o

That's awesome!! Now how do I find that website, oh yea book marking now

Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh were my long links making the whole page wider? My bad I didn't realize, sorry.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahhhhhh All better,

Old 09-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Ahhhhhh All better,

Much better now, you truly are a gentleman

Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

keepin up on the coffee deej? lol

Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 AM

Ok, i've finally got the pictures taken and put on my website.

http://mykx250.com

I also just finished playing with my powder coating gun and put those pictures on my restorations page.

Let me know what you guys think of my progress so far..

Old 10-06-2006, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice, I bookmarked it and will be watching it from time to time, great site and that is going to be a great project.

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?