Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KX250 & KX250F (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kx250-kx250f-47/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kx250-kx250f-47/can-anyone-tell-me-what-year-they-think-kx250-6704/)

noimad1 09-16-2006 09:20 AM

Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

I just picked up this kx250 for free that was sitting in a guys back yard. I'm going to start tearing into it tomororw, but I was just curious if anyone could tell me what year they think it is. I've looked at pictures of the kx 250 models from 1981 until 1993, but I can't find one that looks quite the same. I doubt it is newer then that...I was hoping there might be a 250kx expert on here or someone that might recognize it...

I tried to take the VIN number and enter it in the kawasaki website, but it says they can't find it.

http://www.ixsweb.com/kx250/bike.jpg

It is a 980k picture in case anyone wants to look closely at it.....

Nobrakes 09-16-2006 06:07 PM

RE: Can anyone tell me what year they think this kx250 is?

Wow bro - I have no idea what year that is, but you really have your work cut out for you. I'm guessing that's a total tear-down job and rebuild from the frame up. Looks like fun, though - nothing like a good project, and that's a project!

Good luck man! I hope you post photos of your progress, I'd love to follow along on your rebuild.

EMS_0525 09-17-2006 04:21 AM

now thats a project!... looks like fun. cant help ya on the year

noimad1 09-18-2006 12:24 AM

Well I found out the year. It is an '83 kx250. It certainly is a big project, and I can't wait to tear into the restoration part.

However, I tore down the carburetor last night, cleaned out the jets, made sure the floats worked, and through it back in today. I checked and I do have spark, and compression. So I'm pretty sure I have the three elements needed - spark, compression, and fuel, but the damn thing doesn't want to start. So now I know it is going to be a fun project. If I can just get it running I'll move on to the next step of finishing the teardown....

Anyone have any ideas on what I should check for next? I don't know much about these bikes, so I don't know if there are solenoids/such that should be checked?

I guess I can't complain too much for free....

noimad1 09-18-2006 06:52 AM

Well I decided to tear the carb. back down to see if I missed something, and it was re-gunked up. I decided to go ahead and go get some carb cleaner (the kind in the gallon jug), and soked the whole thing for about 4 hours. Pulled it out, cleaned her up really good and slapped it back in.

Still wouldn't start. I was about to kick it in the nuts when I started to wiggle the choke, and sure enough the choke wasn't opening all the way. I dont' know what made me wiggle it, but that seemed to work. First kick the bike almost came to life. It ran for about 1 1/2 seconds before it died.

It's about 10:30, and the bike doesn't have a muffler, so I decided to hang my hat up for the night so I don't get the cops called on me by the neighbors. However, I feel confident that tomorrow I'm going to get it running......

I'll keep you all posted.

Nobrakes 09-18-2006 07:08 AM

Excellent news - it'll be cool to breathe life back into that old timer.

EMS_0525 09-18-2006 11:17 PM

sweet!! good work man! glad to see your makin some progress

heffay 09-18-2006 11:33 PM

well, you've got the three elements, like you said. make sure you've cleaned the entire fuel system before trying to start... you're probably finding this out as i type. if you keep running ****ty gas from an unclean source... it's not gonna run.

good luck dude!

hoedogg 09-19-2006 12:43 AM

cool project for free :)

noimad1 09-20-2006 07:25 AM

Well I've got the bike running pretty good now. I replaced the fuel lines, and cleaned out the gas tank. I looked in there, and I'm pretty sure whoever had the bike last emptied it out before they left it in their back yard. It was really clean (unlike the carberator).

Now I'm on to the brakes. The rear brake works fine, but the front brake doesn't want to work. I've put some fluid in it, and bled it, but even though the handle got a little tighter it isn't pushing the caliper enough to actually engage the brake. I'm wondering if there is still air in there somewhere. The strange thing is I had the caliper off the rotor earlier and I was able to get it to lock down. However, I then took the caliper off completely to look closer at it, put it back on, and now it won't clamp down again. Is there a secret to bleeding these brakes that I might not know about?

I'm ready to see if this thing actually drives, but I'm not going to do that until I get the front brakes working. I'm excited, this is my first project bike, and I'm ready to start ripping into the restoration part of things. I've already re-covered the seat.

I got a powder coating gun last christmas that I still haven't used. I'm seeing all kinds of things I can powder coat...