New rider, need tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Default New rider, need tips

So, my boyfriend got me a 2003 Kawasaki kx 100 for Christmas. I've only gotten on a dirtbike once in my life. Any tips??

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawigirl3
So, my boyfriend got me a 2003 Kawasaki kx 100 for Christmas. I've only gotten on a dirtbike once in my life. Any tips??
Wow, now there's an open ended question. First of all, congratulations. Your boyfriend must like you a lot, as it appears he wants you to ride with him. Good on both of you.

Next, check this out: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18aug...sakikx100.html. Always a good idea to know what you're dealing with. The KX 100 may appear diminutive but it's a real bike, and it will really kick your *** if you don't respect it.

My suggestions:

1. Buy some good gear BEFORE you dump it the first time. And you will, we all do, it's part of the learning curve. You don't have to spend big bucks for a decent MX helmet, boots, roost deflector, hand guards, yada yada, but every dollar you spend to protect your body - especially for a newb - is money well spent. Hey, you're worth it, now do it.

2. Find an open, level field to practice in. Go slow at first and listen to what your BF tells you about controlling the bike. Control is the key, regardless of speed. Lots of guys will blanch when I say this, but I think women are better students than men on bikes - they don't have the macho (gofast) gene that bogs the mind, and will generally listen and implement lessons imparted much better than their male conterparts.

3. Wander over to ThumperTalk. They have a section of their forum devoted especially to the fairer sex, many of whom will gladly help you along as you are learning. The fact that you don't have a thumper won't deter them in the least.

4. Now go have a blast on your new bike....

JK

Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike. Good advice from Xerxes, most importantly let out the clutch slowly and easy the throttle. Practice that over and over, if you can drive a stick then you won't have a problem. As long as you have balance and keep looking ahead you be a pro in no time!