YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

Brian,the install looks great. Let us know about the ride report.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

ORIGINAL: mmatz
Brian, the install looks great. Let us know about the ride report.
Thanks, but that was an old thread from last May. The case rides real well using the compression strap and I never had any trouble with the handles not being strong enough or anything like that. It was solid and stayed put, no issues whatsoever.

But when I put on my MX style rear fender, I never reinstalled the rack so I haven't used this in a while. I use my Wolfman tank bag to hold stuff now instead.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM

You can buy the Pelican cases on-line in Australia at http://www.carryitcases.com.au/.

I also drilled holes and mounted the Pelican 1200 case permanently with 1/2" U brackets (plumbing supplies) and stainless steel Allen key bolts and nuts to make it secure. I removed the handle and I lock the case with combination locks. I'll try to find time to post some photos of the installed 1200 case.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome eyx935,,,,

beware all pelican owners., Chris (cwgoff) had his case come off down in FL. the u brackets just broke... all 4.We were on dirt roads... lots of vibration.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Some pics. I decided the case would stay on the bike so I cut off some of the case feet and ribbing so the case fit snugly against the rack everywhere.,

[IMG]local://upfiles/4249/4D54D70184E441C09C6A2F29C78465E7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Good job. Looks good.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

eyx935, very nice install. I like your idea of removing the handle & modding the bottom of the case to make it more part of the bike. I had not thought of that, but you are right, once we driill the holes in the bottom of the case, it's not going to be used for much else.

To Eric's point, I was using aluminum Adel (sp?) brackets, which have been reported to have a high failure rate. I had always meant to replace them, but just had not gotten around to it. His point is well taken though, because I am pretty sure there are other guys out there still using that bracket. Someone reported that they are available in a steel version, but I could not find them. Your setup accomplishes the same thing and seems very straightforward.

I now use two aluminum cross bars underneath the rack with bolts going through them and into the case. I don't see any way that it can come apart now.

You got to love the Pelican though. I was going probably 50mph when it launched of the bike. I had the case stuffed full (luckily) with all kinds of stuff including my camera, Eric's camera and other stuff I didn't want to break. The case shows no signs of abuse and all contents were 100% A-OK. I didn't even have in the egg-crate cushion like some do. It was just stuff full so nothing could move around too much.

Anyway, good job on your case install.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

To Eric's point, I was using aluminum Adel (sp?) brackets, which have been reported to have a high failure rate.Someone reported that they are available in a steel version, but I could not find them.
Worked with'em my entire career. You could probably find them in different varieties at outfits that deal with aircraft part supplies or something to do with gas turbine motors. The steel ones are normally used in high heat areas.

I personally like the aluminum cross bar approach much better. The Adel clamps that I have become accustomed to were a PITA more often than not,IMHO. Whatta dumb design...springy metal that you have to hold together with something while you thread a nut onto a bolt andhope the rubber cushion stays intact. In some of thetight spaces we had to work in, that was no fun. The rubber didn't withstand the elements very long either. We were always having to replace those things during inspections. [:@]

Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I barrowed Nobrakes idea on mounting a black Pelican 1200 to my KLX using his ultra slick ratchet tie-down method, I wanted my $35 trunk mounted securely and also didn't want to punch any holes in it just in case I ever wanted to use it for another purpose.

I purchased a tie-down and 3/8" hardened steel rod at Home Depot this morning for less than $15 and had it all installed in about 1/2 an hour.
Thanks for sharing your ingenuity with us.