Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

new rear signals

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-0531151108.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Re-geared

New x-ring chain with a new 43T rear and 15T front sprockets.
Edit: test ride: The new x-ring chain with new sprockets is nice and smooth. 15x43 is slightly lower than stock 14x39 and I like.
Now I need to slap on the 14 and then the 13T and see if I can have fun around town.

Last edited by snappster; 06-11-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Today I tried to sort out a carb issue that appears to be resultant of the FMF silencer insert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fa7TO-nFdQ

I was not successful as my test drive shows...

New video tomorrow hopefully without the silencer tip.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 14x43t

Swapped the 15 with a 14T and test rode around the block. Still can't throttle wheelie but clutch ups are way easier and the front is getting higher than my comfort zone allows. Need some body armor to go higher. If I slid back in the seat it might go up. Need to put my DJ140 MJ in. KLXSTER is likely right about the 136 being too lean. 13T going on once I get in the NF with my soon to be acquired dirt wheel set.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Well 136/5n is too lean, for you and I, for max power production. 136/5N was a big step up but still too lean from off idle to 8500 rpm. 140/2N gets you the "prize" - all the power you can get if your lidless, near sea level, stock header with an aftermarket exhaust and a near dry air filter.

Last edited by Klxster; 02-01-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I tried to install a new shift lever. Oddly enough a '97-'01 KLX 300 IMS shift lever does not fit. It's too short and hits the case. I'm sure I'll have to pay a restocking fee. I need to try and fit it on my 300 bottom end just to see. Maybe it will fit the 650.
Anywho, I did manage to replace the sprockets and chain. So much smoother. I was at the point of an adjustment after any hard riding, especially noticeable after thousands of miles of just lubing it and checking tension.
I also pulled the air filter and cleaned and oiled it. I tried the No-Toil biodegradable crap as I am dumping it into a septic system. I gotta say it cleaned all the old oil out pretty quick. I washed and rinsed it 3 times, then put it into the sun to dry while attending to the drivetrain. When I opened the oil I had a laugh because it was very Kawi green. After an hour of letting whatever chemical evaporate, I reinstalled it.
Of course that meant time for a test ride.
Wow, I wasn't imagining that I was a little lean previously. Last week on a steep descent I let the engine do the braking and was getting a pretty bad pop. Tonight, it was gone!
I've been pretty happy with the 14/43 gearing, so I replaced it with the same. It let's me go through tough single track at 5mph, yet doesn't kill the top end speed by anything legal to use.
Unfortunately, I came home to a wrecker pulling a bike bike out of the woods...it didn't look good.
Not a good start to Laconia Bike Week.
I'll be heading deep into the woods tomorrow, away from all the chrome, they don't like the dust don't ya know.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=ITHAPPENS;520664]First ride on BB#466 this AM.

WHAT IS A BB#466 . Do I need one?????

Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default sprocket change

14x43 sux on the interstate. 7krpm at 60mph but I snapped the front up at work a few times trying to get fired. Still employed. Back to 15x43 which is close to stock 14x39. Anyone know if a 106 link chain will work on 15x39? I cut my new chain down from 108 to 106 to fit the new 15x43 sprockets and will cut it again to get my 15x39 again for commuting. The 43 will most likely reside on my soon to have dirt wheel. Looking forward to BB351 wheelie madness some day.
Edit...Had to take 2 links out to use the 15x39 combo, now down to 104 links and adjustment is deep back in the swingarm. Might not work with the smaller cs sprockets. Hope 13/14x43 works else I will need an offroad chain for my offroad wheels.

Last edited by snappster; 06-16-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=grahamgower;521426]
Originally Posted by ITHAPPENS
First ride on BB#466 this AM.

WHAT IS A BB#466 . Do I need one?????
Bill Blue's 466th Big Bore 351. Similiar to your 331. Different bike and lots more fun

Old 06-16-2015, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

So I've had a manual chain tensioner sitting around for a while...a looooooong while, so I decided to finally install it. Man, what a moron, I should have put that thing in before I even decided to order one, let along let it sit for so long! My KLX probably started making noise 3-4k miles after I bought the bike new. I've checked the valve and had the cover off a few times when I've played around with the cam timing. Inevitably I've reset the tensioner many times and its always worked how it should for a short while after. Well lately I've noticed quite a racket and I've also notice some slight surging at freeway speed. Also, my bike has been feeling like it was just a slight hair of a pinch off on jetting or something else. I never really bothered to narrow any causes down because it still runs fine but in the back of my mind I knew it could be improved. So what the hell, I've got this fancy tensioner laying around and I feel like a jerk just leaving it in a box-o-parts that are destine to also find their way onto my bike. I whipped the bag out, got to work and in literally 20 minutes I had the thing installed, adjusted and the engine running. Holy crap, I never realized how much of a racket that factory trash was making. I will say the engine is definitely a lot more quiet but I believe it runs a little better as well. It doesn't start any different, there is no magical hp increase...nothing (obviously). The engine just works how it should. With how much that old tensioner rattled I wouldn't be surprised if it was causing erratic cam timing. I swear at cruising, especially above 6k it feels smoother, a 5.5k the rattle is gone and when you roll on and off the throttle its just nice. I guess I can't really explain it but the engine just runs and feels like an engine that was in dire need of a tune up. Shame on me for letting it sit, if anyone is on the fence about it or is hearing the typical 5-6k rattle, just do the damn thing. Just for reference my bike has 12.5k miles on it now, so yeah, I've been cruising on a crappy *** tensioner way to long.

About time!

Thats what I think...

The teeth didn't look bad but its definitely all polished from rattling.

Sweet!

Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike