What I/you did today on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
All this recent talk of BB351 piston damage pushed me to order a thermobob a few minutes ago. I figure that more temperature uniformity in the cylinder may keep my engine healthier. Question to you BB351 thermobob users: have you experienced pre-ignition or detonation at all? I am concerned the higher thermostat temperature set-point(compared to OEM) that comes with the thermobob may require a cooler set-point or use of premium gasoline.
When I picked up my 351 kit Bill recommended the use of premium fuel with the kit.
As for excess heat I can't remember my cooling fan ever coming on when the engine was stock or since it has been a 351.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by canklx
When I picked up my 351 kit Bill recommended the use of premium fuel with the kit.
As for excess heat I can't remember my cooling fan ever coming on when the engine was stock or since it has been a 351.
Interesting, I don't recall a recommendation for premium fuel. I have always run regular and noticed no engine knock. Today I filled up with premium and did notice
quickly that the engine feels smoother when giving throttle below 4000rpm in high gears where she felt like she was lugging on regular gas. Anyways, I received and installed
my thermobob today. Pretty easy install. I don't have a temperature gage but trust that the thumper community gave the good dope on it. Used the 90C thermostat and had the 80C one
shipped as an extra in case I think 90C is too hot.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

BB351 1200 mile oil change. Not much in the way of metal flakes in the oil this time. Still running on non-synthetic MC specific oil until the next oil change around new years then back to Mobil 1 MC oil. I love my BB351. Wish Kawi made it the way from the factory. Wonder what the emissions look like on it.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Installed a new 15T sprocket and a magnetic washer on my oil filter. Off to the bike shop tomorrow to gear up for some offroad adventuring with my old mountainbiking friend from way back when.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Default today

06 klx250s .with 600 miles...i just got it last week.....today..i changed to a 13 tooth front sprocket....removed the backfire screen ..changed to a twin air filter....took the snorkel out of the lid....rejetted the carb.....took the rear fender extension off and made a bracket for the tag....i still need exhaust but cant find anything....the fmf q4 or the DG v2 are both out of stock and the manufacture told me didnt know if or when they would get more for the 06 anybody have one or know where i can find one...i did a google and amazon search made several call...but nothing in stock

Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The little tank on the klx holds what... A little over two gallons. After installing the bb350 cyl piston & rejetting fuel quality what it is these days I always run premium (running regular might save .25-35 cents). Heats the enemy I'd rather run the better quality fuels to keep cyl/piston temps as low as possible, less chance of head gasket worries and heat induced problems.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

just put in a order for the 351 kit, kinda excited to get it done over the winter to be ready for the spring

Old 11-10-2017, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
just put in a order for the 351 kit, kinda excited to get it done over the winter to be ready for the spring
You're gonna like it.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
You're gonna like it.
My sled will tide me over till the snow melts but I'm looking forward to my little monster growing up a bit

Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The SF just rolled over 12,000km so service and valve check time, both sides in spec but on the tighter side.
Changed oil, cleaned air filter and made a bit of an airbox lid to try and keep the K&N cleaner.
Installed a manual CCT (great product) and changed my gearing to 13-39.
Relocated my coolant res to a small bottle by the rad.
New brake pads, fluid and a coolant flush.

Currently deciding between a power bomb or a 300 kit as my next change.

Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike