valve gasket still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
rtv is the wrong stuff? How? i wouldnt be going back to that shop.... that guy is an idiot....

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

super glue gets hard... and do you know what happens to it if its exposed to oil products for long periods of time? its just all wrong man... get a new one under warranty.
You got that off the bottle.

Yes, Permatex black works wonders. Used it for sealing the water pump.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i got it from thier site......lol... im still baffled that the tech told him rtv was wrong.....

Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Since I seem to be the 1st guy to superglue his gasket, I'll explain why again.

When the gasket was out, it wouldn't fit properly. It was too small. It would shrink back after we stretched it into the groove on the cover. It was really difficult to get it seated because the grooves were on top, not the bottom. We tried soaking in hot water, using clips and letting the permatex cure....nothing worked.

I needed to get home so we just said screw it and superglued it onto the cover and put permatex on the half moon portion. I eventually took it to a dealer and Kawasaki replaced the cover for free. Anyone having this problem should bring their bike to a dealer and have it replaced under warranty. I think it's a known issue. No questions were asked, they didn't even mention the superglue.

Last edited by je2000; 01-17-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
Yes. . . Yes, Permatex ULTRA BLACK! EMS 0525 is correct. . . . ALL silicone seal products ARE NOT created equal. . . . some will NOT withstand attack from oil!!! Hondabond (from Honda) and Toyota's FIPG (form in place gasket) are also impervious to oil. By the way. . . all silicone gasket-making materials require moisture (humidity) to cure. They DO NOT cure from contact with the air!!!
Ah the wonderful Honda-Bond! The best product I've ever used. Just a dab in the corners and voila no leaks. The straight sections of rocker cover gaskets should NOT get sealant. I am so glad to see someone else mentio Honda-Bond. As for snapping Bolts.....C'mon Man..........Torque Specs are there for a reason. Doubling them is just a bad idea...........

Last edited by gerrynolan; 01-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
super glue gets hard... and do you know what happens to it if its exposed to oil products for long periods of time? its just all wrong man... get a new one under warranty.
Why would or should warranty cover a owners mistake? If it's under warranty the bike should be going to the dealers for maintenance anyway.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

je, thanks for better explaining to people what i did. hopefully some people can get over the superglue subject now.

gerry, i have to try the hondabond, probally the easiest to find out of all of these. snaping the bolts was totally my bad, probally made out of frustration of it still leaking.

Maverick, the only shop around is the oh so famous temecula motorsports, which is a bunch of dip ****s and *** hats, wouldnt give them more money than i saddly have. i also perfer to work on all my vechiles my self, im even batting the cost of a rebuilt motor vs. a mild built street motor (done by me) for my civic.

EMS, hes probally was mistaken and ment to saw white trv or something. the same guy did my carb so i might want to go double check that .

Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I can understand the superglue thing... but for sure take it back to the dealer to get a new gasket... after you fix the broken bolts...lol.

I double check everything done at a dealer, after all the crap i went through and 3 different dealers... to tell a customer that RTV is wrong.... i would tell the service manager i dont want that guy working on anything i own.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Why would or should warranty cover a owners mistake? If it's under warranty the bike should be going to the dealers for maintenance anyway.
I agree, but when you're stuck you're stuck. Rig up a temp. fix and get to it later.