valve gasket still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default valve gasket still leaking

so yesterday i check the valves a little early to fix an oil leak. valves where good so went to seal everything up. gaskets a little small so i superglued the corners like someone else on the forum has done. made sure to use plenty of rtv on the halfmoon peices and around that area. tighten the bolts to about 7lb as indicated, still leaks. try about 15 or so, still leaks. any suggestions, i have a ride coming feb 7 and 8 so i need the bike running prime.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok, so you checked the valves... then superglued the valve cover gasket back on? Id never use superglue on something like that.... rtv is the right stuff. I have had my gasket off a bunch of times, no leaks... either the gasket is bad or you are doing something wrong... superglue might have something to do with it....

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

well ends up i snaped 2 bolts, so im waiting on parts. as cleanance, i superglued the gasket to the top (the side with the ridge) and didnt use much, just enought to hold in in place cus its to small. as for the rtv, i just talked to the tech at the local shop and he said rtv is the wrong stuff, and the reason it still leaked. there better stuff (sry, forgot what its called, hes going to give me a tube when i pick up the parts) for the job, ill post up more as i get parts and stuff.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
ok, so you checked the valves... then superglued the valve cover gasket back on? Id never use superglue on something like that.... rtv is the right stuff. I have had my gasket off a bunch of times, no leaks... either the gasket is bad or you are doing something wrong... superglue might have something to do with it....
The only reason I used superglue was because the gasket was too small to seat properly. We tried to hold it in place and let the gasket sealant set it in place, but it didn't work. So superglue it was.

It actually worked better than before, but still leaked a little

To the OP, this problem is covered under warranty, otherwise just get a new gasket. I think it's like $36. My shop covered all expenses with the repair.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Theres one member here- 09 red klx250s black side panels & head light cowling, SM rims/tires, forgot the name tho, said he worked at a kawi dealership. Maybe he could ask a mechanic in back what they do for a leaking valve cover gasket....

Last edited by RaceGass; 01-16-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My valve cover has a small leak, too. It's nothing serious, but I can see seepage coming from a small portion of it.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

rtv is the wrong stuff? How? i wouldnt be going back to that shop.... that guy is an idiot....

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

super glue gets hard... and do you know what happens to it if its exposed to oil products for long periods of time? its just all wrong man... get a new one under warranty.

Last edited by EMS_0525; 01-16-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes. . . Yes, Permatex ULTRA BLACK! EMS 0525 is correct. . . . ALL silicone seal products ARE NOT created equal. . . . some will NOT withstand attack from oil!!! Hondabond (from Honda) and Toyota's FIPG (form in place gasket) are also impervious to oil. By the way. . . all silicone gasket-making materials require moisture (humidity) to cure. They DO NOT cure from contact with the air!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think the only place sealant is called for is at the bottom of the half-moon plugs. Never heard of anyone using superglue.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Black permatex!

Quick Reply: valve gasket still leaking