Upgrade To HID Lighting Using *Stock Headlight* - Part 4 ... The End Has Come!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Hmm, do tell your experience. How is the beam pattern driving at night? How do other cars react?
I have yet to have 1 person highbeam me yet. having the bulb aimed correctly is key. light dispersion is same pattern as oem, but actually hits the road,vs. the headlight "glowing". you have to get the 35 watt version...if u dont care about having a highbeam..the single filament kit is only $25 plus shipping.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thanks. I did find the web page. Is the 55w way too much? Also what color range did you get?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thanks. I did find the web page. Is the 55w way too much? Also what color range did you get?
55watt is too much..i selected 6k...blueish white...5K would be slightly brighter,and more white...if its not raining,i will take hi/low beam pics at dark. I dont ride much at night..but i like how much more noticable this headlight is during the day

Last edited by Subasaki; 03-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I read through all of these posts and it does not seem to bad. Did your 35w bulb fit within the rubber boot. The 55w from the OP was too long.

You must have also slit the boot to get the wires through correct?

Last, how was all the mounting of this? I wonder how much room I have in the older style. It looks like a lot of room to me.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I gotta be honest....sounds like a lot of work...LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I gotta be honest....sounds like a lot of work...LOL
Doesn't sound bad really. I am usually not a "bling" kind of buyer but I think this is worth a shot. It is the least expensive thing going to boot.

The other thing I do is a better H4 lens (Bosch euro) and the 50% xenon bulbs. Better dispersion and a bit more light out of the same 55/65w.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you maintain the standard hi/low switch with the HID setup?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you maintain the standard hi/low switch with the HID setup?
HIDs typically have only one lamp. No hi/lo. Some have some sort of auxillary "lo" beam... usually just a regular bulb.

I'm inclined to try the PIAA H4 lamps. After changing the lamp just once on my '09, I'm still scarred. Took me about a half hour. It's extremely TIGHT to access the lamp on the '09.

Please let us know how the HID holds up to off-road vibration!!! I "might" try the mod on mine, IF I'm not going to have to change the lamp too often.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
HIDs typically have only one lamp. No hi/lo. Some have some sort of auxillary "lo" beam... usually just a regular bulb.

I'm inclined to try the PIAA H4 lamps. After changing the lamp just once on my '09, I'm still scarred. Took me about a half hour. It's extremely TIGHT to access the lamp on the '09.

Please let us know how the HID holds up to off-road vibration!!! I "might" try the mod on mine, IF I'm not going to have to change the lamp too often.
I would try the Hella or Narva 50% Xenon. You might get a little more light. My 06 has a standard housing so I can go to a 4x6 Euro and get improved optics but not the light output of HID.

They do have a HI/LO HID option but I don't know how it functions.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I would try the Hella or Narva 50% Xenon. You might get a little more light. My 06 has a standard housing so I can go to a 4x6 Euro and get improved optics but not the light output of HID.

They do have a HI/LO HID option but I don't know how it functions.
U still use the hi/lo switch....its a plug and play kit.

Quick Reply: Upgrade To HID Lighting Using *Stock Headlight* - Part 4 ... The End Has Come!