tips on replacing left signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tips on replacing left signal

I'm still steaming. Getting ready for a ride tomorrow I was able to get my bike up on a stand. After oiling my chain and tightening stuff up I tried to get the bike off the stand. One thing led to another and in the end the bike ended up on its left side with the rear left signal completely smashed. It looks like everything is bent out of shape.

Like I said, I'm still hot right now before I go back out and take a look at my next step. Are there any tips on how to take this thing off, there seems to be a big bolt all the way through.

Complete newb here...thanks

Last edited by Trevi; 05-16-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot word
Old 05-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang, that sucks! Is it mounted to the rack like on the 06 bike? If so it probably bent the tab, and from my experience the tab will only take a couple of bends before it snaps off. When I cleaned up the back end of the bike and installed the smaller lights I bent the tabs in on purpose, then later I decided to put the stock lights back on because they are 5 times brighter than the smaller ones and when I tried to bend the tabs back I could feel them giving out. I took it to a shop and had them re-weld. Here is the back of my bike as it is currently. Yes I have 8 blinkers now. But hey it can only help right? Follow the wires back, unplug them from under the seat, and think about buying two of the same lights that are available in a bike shop with round lenses and keep the odd one you will have left over as an emergence replacement.

Here you can see the difference between the small ones I mounted on the fender and the stock ones that I put back on.
Name:  P2014334.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  86.3 KB

Same thing on the front.
Name:  P2014323.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  70.4 KB

Hahaha I just found a picture of when mine broke off after I put them back on. Yea the original welds sucked.
Name:  100_6415.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  88.0 KB

Before I put them back on.
Name:  P9093142.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  53.4 KB

Here is a link to some lights, all you have to do is pick out some that look close to the original. Or perhaps someone on here will sell you the stock ones cheap.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cessories.aspx

These look cool.

Last edited by deej; 05-16-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default thanks

Thanks for the quick response Deej, and for the tips. I did go back to the accident scene after posting, and cooling down, and I can see I will have to replace the entire wire, right back to where it goes in under the seat, as you have said.

I'll have a go at bending the mounting tab back into place.

I feel a bit better now, man I was getting some serious hot flashes when this happened. I think you guys all know the feeling.

cheers, and thanks again Deej...sometimes all you need is a word of encouragement from a fellow rider.

Last edited by Trevi; 05-16-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: forgot word
Old 05-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well don't worry, part of owning a bike, is the satisfaction of being able to tinker and fix stuff. Its all part of the process. Hey what kind of bike stand do you have? Here is a picture of mine, and as you can see it has a spring hook system to go to the pegs that helps hold it in place. I know with mine if the bike is too far forward the dog bone will not let it sit flat, I just pull it back till it rests right up against the stand and its perfect.

Name:  100_5152small.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  150.0 KB

Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej, where did you get that storage box and how much is it? My pipe-bomb looking thing doesn't seem to be working out too well and I need some more room!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

If I were you, and you feel you NEED the signal for your ride tomorrow, I would rush out to any shop that is open, around here they usually have some aftermarkets sitting on the shelf.
Have a look and see what you can get. I often see the ones like what Deej posted. And they would be a direct replacement for the stock ones.
To get the old one off, unbolt the nut that is on the other side of the tab, trace the wires back up to your wiring harness, and unplug them. Pull them out because you need to do this to get the nut off.
To reinstall new ones, you just repeat the steps backwards. Slide the wires through, putting the nut on the other side of where your signal is mounted, tighten the nut.
Get some butt splices at most hardware stores, or walmart or something, which splice the wires together.
Cut the wires off from your original signals to the length you require to splice to your new ones, and then splice the original wires to your new ones.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Thanks Green242...and Deej I have an aluminum stand with rubber on the top. I got the bike up after a few trys...someone on this forum gave the tip of 'tipping' the bike on its kickstand to get it up. But, as I have learned I need to learn the trick for getting it off.

Your stand looks way better! and I think as you said, I'll learn from my mistakes and someday look back and laugh at them. But when they happen, you gotta admit, it makes you mad as hell

cheers again guys, I feel much better now.