tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy

I also think it may be the needle. If you have the Dynojet kit there has been known fitmit issues with some of the needles. The problem is the needledoes not fully seat. The solution is to very lightly sand the needle with very fine paper or drill the hole out. I think most people drilled the hole. It does not take much, just cleaning it up. There are many documented cases and you can read about it on ThumperTalk if you do a search.I don't think anyone ever determined if it was the Dynojet needle or just variances with the carbs. There is no documented cases that I could find with the 49 state adjustable needle. Also Dynojet has never admitted to the problem.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

yep, not sure what the problem is but I should've went with my gut and just ordered the N1TC and 128 keihin main. this kit may be for sale if I keep having problems. I'm going to switch to the 128 dj main (even though this is for sea level according to the dj directions), order a kouba a/f screw to adjust to 2 turns as a base. The dj directions say to put needle on 3rd notch in the directions but then show a pic of putting it on the 4th notch. It was a genuine kit too, not one of them counterfeit ones. Oh well, I guess things could be worse. Sure do miss how awesome that DRZSM ran though in stock trim- no pipe, no jet kit, just smooth linear torque. If only it'd had a 6th gear. I do love the '09 though so don't think I don't. Next spring will bring one of Bill Blue's pumper carbs for sure.

as far as seating, if you're talking about falling completely down from the top and into the carb, I watched it do that when I held the carb in my hand. It's just that I ripped the needle out yesterday with the carb still on the bike. I adjusted it one notch and then put the needle back in but there really is no way to tell if the needle dropped straight down or went down at an angle like the pic on the hmfengineering.com page. the kouba's adjustabilityand 128 will be an indication if this dj kit is going to work for me or not. I will not live with the 25mpg that this latest setup offered. My Fusion gets better than that and it's a V6.

fyi- when I first got the dj kit in, I never did any high rpm/speed highway runs and then back to low speed, it was all off-road. So I do not know if this change is from the needle coming out or if it has always been there.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I would not give up on the Dynojet kit. It works very well the stock carb once you have the right jets in and determine if the needle is seating properly and or you have it in correctly. Also check the diaphragm to make sure it is in correct as well. You should be able to tell because it will run crappy. You may be slightly leaner with your jettingvs what the instructions for the 300 indicate if you have the 250. My experience with mileage and my riding buddy who has a KLX has all been about the same with a stock CVK and my FCR35 pumper. Strictly technical, alternating betweenslow and fast off road I will hit reserveby about 70 miles with my stock KLX300 tank. I never have been to exact with my calculations but it has always been fairly consistent.