2009 Klx 250s not running as well after rejet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 Klx 250s not running as well after rejet?

I just rejetted the carb with 128 main jet, needle clip on the third notch and fuel/air screw 3 turns out and air box lid off. However, it starts better and drives, but it feels really sluggish, does not accelerate very well and feels like I lost power. Any suggestions on what to do? I am at about 79 ft from sea level. Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If you went from stock to this, I'd say you overdid it! Easiest thing to do is screw in the air/fuel jet a couple of turns and see if it is better. If it is better, you're too rich (which is what it sounds like to me). Depending upon what is worse in your setup, you may be able to fix it by lowering the needle (raising the clip), or, going down in size on your main jet.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I followed the Dyno Jet instructions to the T. However, it does need some type of adjustment and I am not sure which way to go. It is a real pain getting to the carb.

Last edited by Websurfing101; 04-30-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

in california at sea level...the bike ran like poo poo with the lid off...it ran okay with just the snorkel removed...but, the engine or something seemed to be vibrating at higher speeds...and, it was noisy...added the kdx snorkel...the engine ran much smoother and quieter....

i also had to adjust my a/f screw in little more (i did 3 out and started to turn it in little by little)...but, i'm running the dj132 main jet....near 8,000 miles and runs like a champ....

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

More info needed:

What DJ kit are you using?
Is the airbox lid the only other mod you made?

Sounds like you went up way too much in jet size. With only the snorkel removed, I went with the DJ116 and mine ran perfectly... but then again I'm about 4600+ feet higher in altitude than you are.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I went with the Dyno Jet Kit #2152. (Stage 2) I plugged the smog equipment, took the air lid off and have a FMF Q4 slip on installed. I think that I might need to adjust the air/fuel screw because it feels sluggish and I might be running too rich. However, I wish that I installed an aftermarket T handle fuel screw adjuster because I really don't have any tools that will fit to adjust the air/fuel screw. Maybe I can buy a mini screw driver that will fit because there is no way to really adjust it unless I take the carb out again. Which, I really don't want to do, but I might have too. If that does not work, I might have to go down on the size of the main jet. It is sure a lot of work to keep tearing apart the bike to get it dialed in.

Last edited by Websurfing101; 04-30-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I was running a 40 pilot jet at sea level. Dynojet recommended using duct tape to block off the air box, to determine if your lean. Reinstall the air box lid w/ snorkel and run it, then pull the snorkel and run again. Which ran better? Air box lid w/ snorkel - your lean - try a 38 pilot jet. Get that kouba screw it will make dialing it in so much easier.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Websurfing101
However, I wish that I installed an aftermarket T handle fuel screw adjuster because I really don't have any tools that will fit to adjust the air/fuel screw. Maybe I can buy a mini screw driver that will fit because there is no way to really adjust it unless I take the carb out again.
You can use a flat-head screw bit. It's easy to get up there and "feel" it seat into the grove. Once seated you can adjust it with your fingers.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ditto that...that's what i use....

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
You can use a flat-head screw bit. It's easy to get up there and "feel" it seat into the grove. Once seated you can adjust it with your fingers.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

+2 on the little 1/4" bits!!! They work fine, and everybody has a hanful of them so they're basically free.

As for dialing it in - go to the DJ website and submit a help request. Tell them what bike you have, which kit you bought, what setup (airbox/pipe) you're running, and what the problem is. They'll usually get back within a couple hours with a personal response and a suggestion for what you should try.

I have done this twice (when I just did my snorkel, and when I added my pipe) and they nailed the setup first try each time. Oh, and let them know what your altitude is...

Quick Reply: 2009 Klx 250s not running as well after rejet?