Supertrapp? Anyone run one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

@klx678: SuperTrapp obviously still has a following and I'll count you among them!

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
There are much better choices. The trap is that when you add enough discs to flow good they are stupid loud, and when discs are removed to produce a decent sound level they dont flow.
Seems that most any pipe that flows well is too loud. That is because the motorcycle aftermarket doesn't do what the car aftermarket has... make a REAL muffler that will flow. Can you say Flowmaster? I thought you could. Seems a truly chambered muffler versus a cheap glass pack design common to the motorcycle industry, can both flow and bafffle. It does take some volume to do so. If only motorcyclists were willing to pay a bit for a good muffler design, but if it ain't cheap or loud they won't buy it. Part of the problem with Supertrapp.

By the way, can you take your "better choice" and vary the flow and sound to suit your area? You can with a Supertrapp, six allen bolts, take out two discs and I'm quieter if needed. And if you've ever been to a Grand National flat track event you would notice the bikes aren't that loud either and that is a sport that counts on sheer horsepower. They give direction on tuning sound to power too. It's not some it on slap on affair.

I believe the biggest reason you don't see Supertrapp in the dual sport and sportbike aftermarket is likely due to their growing share of both the Harley market and the automotive market and that they aren't low buck either. They have both the Kerker and Supertrapp brands, with the latter being involved in both racing and street applications for automobiles along with the Doug Thorley Headers (automobile performace headers). That and the fact that they have also acquired Jardine, which has both off road and sport bike applications. So I would venture to say they may be targeting brands. They aren't sitting still.

They introduced the internal disc set up for the BMW800 and 1250 (or whatever it is). If you saw it you would see a big muffler to get some flow without being restrictive, yet still have quiet tone.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I am goint to try one of these!

SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust

Going to try it anyway! As I love to be different! I am also going to try the Ecotrons fuel injection system!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 AM

After doing a lot of research, I decided that the FMF was going to be too loud for me. I started looking on Ebay. It only took a couple of days to find a KLX300 header and muffler for $120 with free shipping. After I got it I wire brushed it and spray painted it with high heat paint. It sounds nice, but not loud and looks new and completely stock on the bike. Just my opinion, but I would have spent up to $200 dollars on a KLX300 setup and still felt like it was the right choice for performance and noise level.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Lorrin

Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when I was selling the KLX300 in the early 2000s the trick for them per Kawasaki off road performance tuners was to get rid of the restrictive pipe (head pipe and can) and put on a slide carb. It would actually add about 20% more power to the bike.

You may get some gain since it is an off road muffler and has a bit more flow, but no where near as much as a good flowing system can give. The benefit I found in the Supertrapp was the ability to set sound and live with whatever gain was had. Fortunately my bike was not obnoxiously loud (per neighbors and others I've asked) with 12 discs so it flows pretty freely. If I had to I could cut it down to eight and quiet the bike down a fair amount. I've seen them used since the 70s with good and bad results, the bad results usually being too noisy from I-dots who either put on the open end or took off all the discs and end caps. Those who used them right usually had decent sound without excess.

Again, no gimmick, results proven and still in use in flat track racing at the top level.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX 250s
SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust

Going to try it anyway! As I love to be different! I am also going to try the Ecotrons fuel injection system!
Does the yam xt version fit the klx?

Last edited by drm; 07-12-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've used tons of SuperT's over the years and even had a 5" can on my 383 stroked 4X4 GMC Jimmy. They're good and flow well. They are just about too loud for a street bike unless you get the one like mustang mentioned. I had one on my last '01 KLR650, and that was a nice muffler. It shrouds the discs, so it's no more obnoxious than any other aftermarket pipe. Looks good too.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Back in the day when I'd run out of disks to add to the trap I've added washers between the disks to space them out farther to flow more. Nearly every one I ever owned, had a few washers to open it as far as I needed it to be. On my XL600 you really could change where the power came on by open and closing it.