Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Supertrapp? Anyone run one? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/supertrapp-anyone-run-one-39334/)

MaximusPrime 12-04-2012 12:58 AM

Supertrapp? Anyone run one?

Found this:
Supertrapp 3" 3M Clamp-On Exhaust Silencer - RevZilla
which needs this:
Supertrapp 4-Stroke Core Kit - RevZilla

Kinda cheap, was thinking of using my stock 300 header and selling the FMF(if repacking and the silencer don't quiet it down enough) to fund the swap.

Used to ride a buddies KLR250 that had one, it was nice. Way better than my stock KLR all around. It was lighter, louder(in a good way), and tuneable(nice when the jetting is close, better when perfect).

I'd have to find a bracket that works, shouldn't be too hard...he says without knowing.

Any opinions?

deej 12-04-2012 02:17 PM

I saw one back in the 70's, I hear good things. LOL Actually I guess it one of the only adjustable pipes out there, that allows you to fine tune the sound and performance. Might be a good option and of course a great write up about it with pictures would be in order. ;)

mustang 12-04-2012 08:11 PM

I'm running a SuperTrapp IDS2 slip-on for a KLX300. It's a 3" muffler, but the discs are enclosed in the case instead of open like the ones you linked to. I like it a lot. Mine has the quiet-core insert, and it sounds nice and deep, but isn't overly loud, even at wide-open throttle.

SuperTrapp doesn't list the IDS2 for the KLX300 on their website anymore, but if you call them, they'll make one for you. The part number for mine was 611-6301.

jeffzx9 12-05-2012 12:18 AM

Supertrap cans were pretty cool for standards back in the day; late 80's early 90's. The "tune-able" disc concept was pretty handy for the guys who were all thumbs with carburetors and jetting. No criticisms, really; the discs were a clever alternative. If you can get one cheap, probably a good thing. The sound (on an old inline 4) was a little "different" and would occasionally rattle if the discs got mis-aligned. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the sound, but I don't have any experience with a single cylinder application; might be OK.

darkmarc 12-05-2012 01:45 AM

I had one just like that on an old xr250. It was loud, really too loud for me.
marc

MaximusPrime 12-05-2012 03:42 AM

Thanks.
The tuneability was explained to me a long time ago. It went something like jet the bike perfect. Then if you want more or less discs, all you did was mess with the mixture screw.
I'm still hoping I can make the old Powercore IV more quiet. It's fine at idle, but blip the throttle and she roars. I pulled the old packing and am waiting for a new screen, the quiet core insert and new packing. Hoping that makes it better. It least I'll leave it on for winter.
Anything to be more con****uous is fine with me at this point. If it's noise, so be it, as long as it's not as much noise as before. If it is still too loud, I'll fleabay it and try the Supertrapp for under $200, and see what happens with that. Unless the ever more difficult to find 300 stock comes up. Seen a bunch in crappy condition for way too much money.
Not expecting much performance wise, it's really the weight savings. The less weight back there might make it feel a little more nimble. Battery is getting swapped to something much lighter without fluid, I hope. I'm hoping it adds up to 10 lbs off the ass end.

go cytocis 12-05-2012 04:02 PM

SuperTrapps were a novel & interesting idea but ultimately I don't think they actually worked. *I considered one years ago for a Honda RC31 I had set up for track use but decided against it when I read a Cycle World comparison of pipes which concluded that the SuperTrapp was the only pipe of about 12 which actually made LESS power than stock. *This finding was confirmed by a friend who also had an RC31 and was disappointed with the results. *It did sound awesome though!

Another disadvantage of the SuperTrapp is that it tends to spray exhaust soot in a radial pattern which can get messy.

If the idea worked, other manufacturers would have either copied it or bought license to use the design.

linkin5 12-07-2012 05:25 AM

Supertraps were a big improvment from stock back in the day and I've had them on alot of bikes and 4 wheelers. Newer aftermarket pipes are better and I've gotten rid of all my old traps

klx678 12-07-2012 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by go cytocis (Post 486197)
SuperTrapps were a novel & interesting idea but ultimately I don't think they actually worked. *I considered one years ago for a Honda RC31 I had set up for track use but decided against it when I read a Cycle World comparison of pipes which concluded that the SuperTrapp was the only pipe of about 12 which actually made LESS power than stock. *This finding was confirmed by a friend who also had an RC31 and was disappointed with the results. *It did sound awesome though!

Another disadvantage of the SuperTrapp is that it tends to spray exhaust soot in a radial pattern which can get messy.

If the idea worked, other manufacturers would have either copied it or bought license to use the design.

You mean like the FMF MegaMax pipes that used the disc style muffler?

http://www.faster-motocross.com/images/27-1275lg.jpg

It is a bit more costly to do the disc system so I'm thinking that's one of the popularity factors along with the way it diffuses exhaust around the tip.

They're a novelty to the point that that Supertrapp is still doing brisk business as Supertrapp-Kerker and selling a ton of Harley stuff along with ATV and automotive applications as well?

The fact is that a large number of flat trackers run Supertrapps on their bikes. SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust

http://supacustom.com/wp-content/upl..._1-590x392.jpg

Includes all 4 stroke singles, new Kaw flat trackers and others.

http://www.supertrapp.com/images/pro...ections/67.jpg

Of course you could check out what Bill Werner (former HD factory tuner for Scott Parker and others in flat track. He's also the first tuner to put a Kawasaki twin into flat track nationals and make them a winner) has to say:

In Werner’s words, “I’ve been using SuperTrapp products for years – since the late ‘70s – and have always been impressed with the quality and performance gains,” Werner said. “The SuperTrapp system is unique with a disc system that has instant tunability. It takes only minutes to make some adjustments that result in a significant power characteristic change in your motorcycle.”

The "tunability" had a lot more to do with sound than actual performance tuning. Racers that run them use an open tip with the discs to muffle sound, not tune for performance. That is emphasized by the AMA and noted on the Supertrapp web site in the racing page.

They weren't the hot ticket for sportbikes, I'll certainly say that, but were great on a lot of off roaders. They do well on a huge number of singles from ATV to flat track.

The Supertrapp is a good muffler. Full exhaust systems are dependent on more than just mufflers though. It is about the various tuning requirements for the tubing in length and ID. With twins it can get really different, with 2-2, 2-1, and 2-1-2 style headers. With mufflers there are the noise restrictions that come into play, not to mention the actual power delivery.

Then there is a lot more than just pure horsepower when it comes to exhausts. Some exhausts may not have the best horsepower, but power curve can come into play. That's even been pointed out when it comes to exhaust systems. At one time there was a header that made the highest horsepower on a GSXR, but it cut around 3 hp at all other ranges of the power range at any given rpm - doesn't come on as soon or hit as hard, in spite of higher horsepower at the redline. Then again there is also the fact that what works best on one bike doesn't always work on all.

The one thing a lot of riders really like about the Supertrapp disc system IS the tunability of sound. That will affect performance though. I've seen riders running as few as three or four discs in their mufflers and having sound near that of a stock bike. My bike runs 12 discs for the 650 and in combination with the rare Baja Designs reverse cone megaphone exhaust design, adds incredible power over the stock exhaust. The pipe is a bit loud for the rider when combined with the intake roar, but neither my neighbors nor my wife have said it is overly loud when I've asked. Apparently the exhaust alone is fairly decent. I could cut it a bit by taking out one or two discs, possibly at the cost of a tad of top end, but maybe even get a bit more low end grunt. Can you say "tunable"?

You are right about the way the Supertrapp diffuses exhaust out around the discs, but by simply adding either their protector (a bit short) or by cutting and bending a thin stainless steel shroud, the exhaust is deflected from the fender or whatever and works great. I attached it with the three fasteners that hold the core in the silencer. I'd highly recommend it if for no other reason than the ability to cut down on sound if you need to do so, yet easily open it up more when able to do so. Of course "stuffing up" the exhaust to quiet it down will cut down on performance, so it is all a trade off. I could run an open end to really cut restriction if there is any at this point, but it would be far too loud... Kiind of like some of those hot performing non-adjustable exhausts. I can do it all with one pipe.

Just letting you know it wasn't a gimmick when it comes to a muffler, perhaps a bit when it comes to tuning from a racing max HP performance point of view. Of course that doesn't help if you can't meet the sanctioning body's noise standard though.

I will say they've been around as long or longer than probably 80% of the present exhaust manufacturers. They started around 1972 with the original Xduser silencer and made the first Supertrapp muffler for MX bikes in 1973, so that puts them at about 40 years in business. That's a fairly long lived trend or gimmick.

And yes, I do like them.

2veedubs 12-08-2012 02:08 AM

There are much better choices. The trap is that when you add enough discs to flow good they are stupid loud, and when discs are removed to produce a decent sound level they dont flow.