Stock 2018 KLX250 (EFI) Popping on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock 2018 KLX250 (EFI) Popping on deceleration

Hey all,

Been loving my 2018 KLX250 bone stock just the way it is. Just clocked over 7300 miles (yes I ride a lot mainly in town to run errands etc) and have noticed that 1) the bike seems to making more power? Like it "feels" peppier and has more get up and go. Unless someone swapped in a 300cc motor for me overnight that I wasn't aware of, it seems like it's some umf to it now and 2) i've been getting more poppings on deceleration when I'm down shifting between gears most commonly for a stop light. So....a few questions, I'm in Virginia, weather is around mid to high 70's and i'm probably pretty close to sea level (i take the bike fishing a lot at our boat ramps) if that matters....

1) Is this popping bad? It's bone stock, exhaust, air filter, everything.

And if it is bad....

2) What can I do to solve it?

I haven't noticed any changes in fuel economy. My light still comes on around 120 miles for refuel it's about 1.5 gallons to the brim which suggests that I'm getting around mid 70's for MPG and this has been pretty consistent with all my rides averaging around 50mph everywhere i go with the occasional freeway which i'm bumping around 65/70 for short stints.

Most recent pic at a meeting for clicks!

Thanks all!

Last edited by VWJETTY; 08-08-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 08-08-2021, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Exhaust crackle (popping a bit) is normal according to Mikuni, leanness on closed throttle deceleration happens, carb or EFI. It can be programmed out by shutting off fuel on closed throttle in upper gears, but the lower gears need some gas. My KLX650 has crackle on closed throttle, to stop it I slightly open the throttle and gone. Click here for Mikuni comments click here for Dyno Jet comments, they don't say anything about it being a problem. Small pops, aka crackle, are pretty much normal with proper tuning.

Now loud backfires, big bangs, are not a good thing.

Funny part is it seems bike people want to stop it while the performance car group like and want it. In the Corvette forum there are threads and posts how to get the crackle that the road racers have.

Last edited by klx678; 08-08-2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Very helpful! Thanks! Was a little worried that something might have been off but was reassuring confirmation against it.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
Hey all,

Been loving my 2018 KLX250 bone stock just the way it is. Just clocked over 7300 miles (yes I ride a lot mainly in town to run errands etc) and have noticed that 1) the bike seems to making more power? Like it "feels" peppier and has more get up and go. Unless someone swapped in a 300cc motor for me overnight that I wasn't aware of, it seems like it's some umf to it now and 2) i've been getting more poppings on deceleration when I'm down shifting between gears most commonly for a stop light. So....a few questions, I'm in Virginia, weather is around mid to high 70's and i'm probably pretty close to sea level (i take the bike fishing a lot at our boat ramps) if that matters....

1) Is this popping bad? It's bone stock, exhaust, air filter, everything.

And if it is bad....

2) What can I do to solve it?

I haven't noticed any changes in fuel economy. My light still comes on around 120 miles for refuel it's about 1.5 gallons to the brim which suggests that I'm getting around mid 70's for MPG and this has been pretty consistent with all my rides averaging around 50mph everywhere i go with the occasional freeway which i'm bumping around 65/70 for short stints.

Most recent pic at a meeting for clicks!

Thanks all!
Check the connections and gaskets on your exhaust. If they are loose or a gasket isn't sealing, outside air can get sucked into the exhaust which can ignite the unburned fuel making that popping sound on deceleration.

Your engine ish't getting hurt as it is all happening outside the engine.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

It is almost guaranteed that your gradual increase in decel pops is being caused by a exhaust connection slowly going bad.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Gotcha, I will definitely look at my exhaust pipe to check for leaks or loose bolts, makes sense. Will report back later today!

Old 08-13-2021, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

They have markings on my bolts so its easy to tell if they've loosened overtime. None of them seem to have moved but I tightened them just a little bit. I didn't notice any differences in terms of the popping sensation so I'm just gonna ride on. Thanks to everyone who commented!

Last edited by VWJETTY; 08-13-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
They have markings on my bolts so its easy to tell if they've loosened overtime. None of them seem to have moved but I tightened them just a little bit. I didn't notice any differences in terms of the popping sensation so I'm just gonna ride on. Thanks to everyone who commented!
A little popping can't hurt anything.
You'll be fine.