2018 klx250 running a bit rough after new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member
Default 2018 klx250 running a bit rough after new exhaust

Hey guys. I recently fitted a full system two brothers exhaust to my 2018 klx250. It seems to run a bit rough/jerky now particularly at low speed with occasional stalling at traffic lights/intersections. It's the only mod I've done to the bike. Any ideas? I read on the klx250 facebook page the fuel injected bikes did not need tuning as the bike would supposedly work it out itself. The O2 sensor is connected.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MXM
Hey guys. I recently fitted a full system two brothers exhaust to my 2018 klx250. It seems to run a bit rough/jerky now particularly at low speed with occasional stalling at traffic lights/intersections. It's the only mod I've done to the bike. Any ideas? I read on the klx250 facebook page the fuel injected bikes did not need tuning as the bike would supposedly work it out itself. The O2 sensor is connected.

Thanks
Went out to their website... I don't understand how they define "full system" as I see no indication of a header - only a midpipe and slipon...

Anyway, any exhaust leaks, or leaking, from your work, would cause your problems - and is the most likely cause...

You'll need to go back onto Facebook and ask those idiots peeps if they know when closed loop operations stop and open loop operations start. Only closed loop ops (lower throttle settings) can self adjust ! Open loop ops (all performance operations) cannot..

In the meantime, get the EJK fueler and set it correctly for you mod combo - you'll find the correct settings in the instructions and/or on their website for the KLX250..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-17-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

bigger exhaust on a little four stroke pretty much always gives you a slight low end torque loss, and the two brothers is a pretty big exhaust indeed

tuning helps. i'd rather get a power commander than an EJK, the EJK can only add fuel, and in areas where your VE has decreased due to the new exhaust, you often have to remove fuel from areas to get better performance. the power commander also has ***** so you can experiment, but you can also load a proper table into it. best of both worlds

bump your idle up a little bit and give 'er a bit more throttle when taking off for the time being i'm sure it'll be fine

Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no Power Commander or any other DynoJet tuning device available in the USA for the new KLX250 EFI's..

EJK is the only game in town at this time.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

the fc17900e has been available for quite some time. if you don't believe me ask the one tucked under my left side panel that i installed last year

Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rfesu
the fc17900e has been available for quite some time. if you don't believe me ask the one tucked under my left side panel that i installed last year

Yep, you did buy one last year - so did a lot of peeps I hope.. Try doing that now !

P.S. You can't,.. They quit selling them within the USA quite some time ago !

Last edited by Klxster; 06-23-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Closed course competition only verbiage, but these guys still sell it.

https://cart.dynojet.com/p-2933-pcfc.aspx

Near as I can tell the only mod that really improves power is a big bore kit. I myself wouldn't go to all that trouble and expense just to make the bike sound better. I would as part of a 351 install on my 2018.

Last edited by Haldor; 06-24-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Haldor
Closed course competition only verbiage, but these guys still sell it.

https://cart.dynojet.com/p-2933-pcfc.aspx

Near as I can tell the only mod that really improves power is a big bore kit. I myself wouldn't go to all that trouble and expense just to make the bike sound better. I would as part of a 351 install on my 2018.
Thanks for the post but your link goes to DJ. And there is no way to actually purchase the PCFC from DJ - or anyone else as far as I can tell..

I don't know what you call "really improves power", but a full FMF (etc) exhaust system, lidless airbox, and EJK fueler gives you a "whole new bike" to ride. We don't yet have dyno charts to show whether it's a 15%, 20%, or more, increase in peak power levels but the increases over the entire upper half of the powerband create a whole new animal.

Last edited by Klxster; 06-30-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

ah that's odd they stopped sale in USA, I can still buy them up here in canada. i'm pretty close to the border. might be time for a smuggling ring.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, the PCFC is the way to go for peeps like me, but, on the other hand, the folks at EJK have done their homework their KLX250EFI fueler. They've developed settings for the highest performance mod combo (lidless with full performance exhaust system) as well as the lesser mod combos - with good dynobutt reports..

Quick Reply: 2018 klx250 running a bit rough after new exhaust