So if I move back to California...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
So green stickered bikes can be plated?
Is the green OHV sticker on the fork the "green sticker"?
You can't ever plate a green sticker bike. You can take a plated bike and convert it to OHV only, but you can never go back and get it replated. Lots of scammers here try to sell green sticker bikes as "both" on and off-road, but it's BS. If you have a plate, then you don't have to worry about green or red stickers for OHVs. There are a few places that only allow plated bikes. Keeps the riffraff out. Same program for cars and bikes. Red stickers are generally for 2-stroke bikes and have a limited riding season.

Last edited by Lotrat; 06-22-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Man Kali bites! I'm glad I didn't stay there after my 3 years stationed there in the USAF. Lots of my friends stayed there after they got out of the USAF.

I registered my bike as an OHV this year - because of the impending furloughs. I will register it for the street again next year, assuming congress gets its act together after Sept. 2013, and I don't have to keep taking every Friday off without pay.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

@ rgoers - Utah has always intrigued me, just don't have any network there, but I love the diversity of the landscape!
In LA, I have a house to move into (albeit I'd have to fix it up for the owner for a grace period on rent) and a bunch of warehouses that I could get a job managing (at the worst) and maybe even a writing job (if I step in the right pile of ****) and a bunch of friends to make it all easier.
But things here have been looking up, so I'm going to spend some time fixing my house with a riding friend, get myself out of the financial hole by selling all the excess gear and crap I don't use anymore, then maybe sell the house and go from there.
Cali has too much BS to deal with. If I go out there, I will go after my birthday in October (when all my vehicle registrations are due) and stay for the winter and then return for summer, living as a guest in a friends out building that has everything except a kitchen. It sure will be nice to hang out on the beach, if it happens.
Just not sure I can deal with another cold *** winter up here in the NE, especially on a bike.
Appreciate all the input. I knew the grass looked greener but that is mostly because of the weather and friends. All the laws, I can live without those.
I really miss the scantily clad women on the beach. I could get used to them again!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
@ rgoers - Utah has always intrigued me, just don't have any network there, but I love the diversity of the landscape!
In LA, I have a house to move into (albeit I'd have to fix it up for the owner for a grace period on rent) and a bunch of warehouses that I could get a job managing (at the worst) and maybe even a writing job (if I step in the right pile of ****) and a bunch of friends to make it all easier.
I had no ties here either... mainly took a shot in the dark and hoped for the best. I was born and raised in Western NY... loved it there too, but after 23 years with Xerox, I got laid off. The economy was real bad there - couldn't find a job after looking for about a year. I eventually sold the house and moved the whole family to FL for work. I spent 18 months there before being laid off. Without knowing where to go next (economy in FL was as bad as NY) I took a shot and moved to Utah. It was like stepping into another world. No housing bust, no lack of jobs, it was unbelievable. If you want a job here and can't find a *good* paying job in *your* field of work, there's something seriously wrong with you. Jobs are plentiful... like the recession never made it to the Salt Lake City area... truly strange for someone coming from NY and FL. People here think it's normal.

I got my first job by phone (from FL). Since then I've changed jobs two more times, both were promotions and decent pay increases. No lapses between jobs, and no layoffs. It's been great! Anyway, I've been here about 4 years now, and plan on staying long-term. Finally was able to buy a house again... a real nice house - new build, almost 4k square feet. Got my bike, 2 sleds, and life is looking up again... Not bragging - just trying to illustrate how incredible the economy and job situation is here... not to mention endless trails for bikes, ATVs, UTV's, sleds, and 4WD vehicles. If you like outdoor activity, Utah has just about everything you could want... including JOBS so that you can actually afford to play. ;-)