Short road trip on this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Makes perfect sense now.. The dude sold it because he didn't want to do the valve adjustments and crank bearings.. DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL IT'S DONE. It WILL be destroyed and/or leave you stranded!!!
I haven't the foggiest clue how to do any of that.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Great laughs to be had today. Cuz is on a roll.

The cooling system on these bikes is very robust. The fan rarely comes on, examples like when idling for a long period or doing slow riding on hot days where there is little airflow through the radiator.

Get that 80 mile maintenance done . Find an owner's manual, online if you don't have one, to see what all you need to do.

At 140 miles, it's pretty much broken in. If it is still on original oil and filter, change it now. Wrap that thing up.

I do 200+ mile trips regularly. Change the oil every thousand miles or so.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Great laughs to be had today. Cuz is on a roll.

The cooling system on these bikes is very robust. The fan rarely comes on, examples like when idling for a long period or doing slow riding on hot days where there is little airflow through the radiator.

Get that 80 mile maintenance done . Find an owner's manual, online if you don't have one, to see what all you need to do.

At 140 miles, it's pretty much broken in. If it is still on original oil and filter, change it now. Wrap that thing up.

I do 200+ mile trips regularly. Change the oil every thousand miles or so.
I have the owners manual. I don't recall anything about an 80 miles maintenance, so i will check.

As for break-in, the manual said 1000 miles. I have been putting along and I dont think I have been above 4K rpm but for maybe a second or two whilst a car was on my ****. :|

I did change the oil at about 120 miles, but other than that I have not done anything to it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

well...i did over 500 miles...literally full throttle from san francisco to san diego..80 mph average speed..but, was at 85 mph lot of time....over 100 mph on some slight downhills...75 mph up mountains on 5th full throttle....only quick gas stops....and, rode it back the entire 500 miles again reverse on a weekend....i go on technical group rides with bunch of sports bikes on weekends that can be anywhere from 80 miles to 200 miles on a single day....

the cylinder was checked after my 1000 mile weekend ride....it was fine....i put about 9,000 miles now...put a lot of miles after my first valve adjustment on saturday....during the valve adjustment i did discover two of my valves were out of spec...replaced the valve shims....bike is running really great after the valve adjustment...but, i'm sad to see it getting rained on from my office window...

Last edited by ahnh666; 06-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackettle
I have the owners manual. I don't recall anything about an 80 miles maintenance, so i will check.

As for break-in, the manual said 1000 miles. I have been putting along and I dont think I have been above 4K rpm but for maybe a second or two whilst a car was on my ****. :|

I did change the oil at about 120 miles, but other than that I have not done anything to it.
These guys are F-ing with you. Sorry guys, somebody has to let him off the hook. There is no 80 mile service. The service intervals are very long. The bike will do what you asked many times over before even needing an oil change. I am heading to northern Wisconsin for a two day Dual Sport ride this weekend. First day is 140 miles, which doesn't include six or seven "hero sections", Second day is over a hundred miles. all on snowmobile trails, single track, logging roads, and gravel. I can 't wait Honestly my butt doesn't even get sore. Many on here complain about the seat but I guarantee the KLX seat is light years better than a KTM seat.
Go do it.
Dan

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Blackettle -- thanks for letting us get our Monday morning laughter Yuk yuk. Hope that didn't put you off too much. Good to hear you've already changed the oil once - that's important. And welcome to the KF if I haven't said welcome already. Get on that KLX and ride. It'll do highway or trails all day if you want it to.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh... I thought the original post was a joke post so I gave it a joke answer.

Seriously - who thinks a brand new bike is going to get "destroyed" from a 150 mile pavement ride?!
I've put that many miles on mine in the forest in one day on some crap most wouldn't even try. You want to take it to your buddy's house on the blacktop and think it's going to explode. hahaaa

Ride the **** out of it.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Seriously - who thinks a brand new bike is going to get "destroyed" from a 150 mile pavement ride?!
I've put that many miles on mine in the forest in one day on some crap most wouldn't even try. You want to take it to your buddy's house on the blacktop and think it's going to explode. hahaaa

Ride the **** out of it.
Well I did not know if such a small bike could handle full throttle at highway speeds for 2+ hours without `splodin under my ***.

im a noob.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking What goes around, duck Cousin Larry.....

Ride the **** out of it.
I have to admit, having read the manual on my 2012 and following the break-in recommended, being somewhat finicky about maintenance and all, when I read Cousin Larry's first post my reaction was WTF is he talking about?
LMAO! I thought Larry must be on the sauce, either that or he knows this guy and really wants to mess with him. Blackettle, remember the line from the Godfather, "revenge is a dish best served cold".
Sleep tight, Larry..

Last edited by ShadetreeAZ; 06-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

This was the BEST!!!!! thanks CUZ

Quick Reply: Short road trip on this bike?