Short road trip on this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Short road trip on this bike?

I have a '12 klx250s that I purchased with the intent on scooting around town and perhaps once in a while take offroad.

Once in a while I might like to go visit a friend who lives about 125-130 miles away.
Is this bike capable of making a short road trip of say 150 miles or so with out being destroyed and/or leaving me stranded?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

It will do it no problem. You *** on the other hand will hate you and your bike.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cegusman
It will do it no problem. You *** on the other hand will hate you and your bike.
You sure? I saw a video of a guy who did a road trip on a KLR650 and the damn thing gave him nothing but trouble and practically rattled loose. I figure the KLR650 is much more equipped than the KLX250s for that kinda thing.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

yeah man...i just rode 200miles yesterday exploring back roads (paved and gravel) in my area. I stopped once for gas. 55-65mph no problem and mine sees regular paved roads.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry brah you gonna die, don't do it. These bikes are actually only made to go about 75 miles at a time. After that you need to replace both wheel bearings and do a valve adjustment.

So don't ride it over 80 miles a pop without doing the above. If you go over those 80 miles your crank bearings will seize and your carb will gum up rendering it useless.

I do maintenance every 75 miles like it was my religion.

Last edited by CousinLarry; 06-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
yeah man...i just rode 200miles yesterday exploring back roads (paved and gravel) in my area. I stopped once for gas. 55-65mph no problem and mine sees regular paved roads.
I wonder how it would hold up going 200 miles @ 65mph the entire time.

Mine is not broken in yet (140miles so far) and I ride it around keeping it under 4K RPM trying to put some miles on it. I did notice yesterday after a 20 min ride that the radiator fan never came on. I could feel the heat from the motor and figured the fan would be running, but it was not.

I dont know if that is normal.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Sorry brah you gonna die, don't do it. These bikes are actually only made to go about 75 miles at a time. After that you need to replace both wheel bearings and do a valve adjustment.

So don't ride it over 80 miles a pop without doing the above. If you go over those 80 miles your crank bearings will seize and your carb will gum up rendering it useless.

I do maintenance every 75 miles like it was my religion.
I hope you are just kidding.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackettle
I hope you are just kidding.
Not at all - you bought this thing new, right?!! This is something the dealer should have gone over with you before you took it home!

All dealers are supposed to school the new owner on the 80 mile maintenance rule. These are single-cylinder engines. They aren't made for the endurance like their multi-cylinder counterparts.

I'd call that dealer right now and demand the truth.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Not at all - you bought this thing new, right?!! This is something the dealer should have gone over with you before you took it home!

All dealers are supposed to school the new owner on the 80 mile maintenance rule. These are single-cylinder engines. They aren't made for the endurance like their multi-cylinder counterparts.

I'd call that dealer right now and demand the truth.
Actually I bought it used with less than 100 miles on it.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackettle
Actually I bought it used with less than 100 miles on it.
Makes perfect sense now.. The dude sold it because he didn't want to do the valve adjustments, wheel and crank bearings.. DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL IT'S DONE. It WILL be destroyed and/or leave you stranded!!!

Last edited by CousinLarry; 06-04-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Short road trip on this bike?