Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Nobrakes, that's an excellent writeup for tubes...well done.

However, I have one word.....Nuetech Tubliss.....no.....wait.....that's two words.

Just got back from nearly 3 weeks in southern Utah on mine. I'm now going to my 5th rear tire and 3rd front tire on my 3-year old Tubliss system with never a leak, flat, or failure. Even a large nail in Colorado didn't cause me to lose air in my rear tire...only noticed it when I was lubing the chain in camp.

Bib Mousse isn't the only option to tubes out there. Tubes work, but I and many others have had zero issues with Tubliss. And, you can always install a tube on the side of the trail if the worst case scenario occurs, just like with a flat tube.
I have heard some good things about that setup. I did try a tubliss front about 3 or 4 years ago, right before a week-long trip. While installing the front, as soon as I went to inflate the high pressure inner tube, it let loose with a torn (maybe defective?) valve stem. Maybe I did something wrong, but I didn't want to trust it for my once-a-year trip, so I went back to a tube for that trip, and I never tried it again.

But it did seem like it would be a good setup. I just couldn't really trust it after that. And since I have never actually even gotten a flat with my tube setup, I figured I would stick with what has worked for me all these years.

One thing I did fine appealing with tubliss is that if you did get a nail puncture like you did, as long as the carcass was not torn or otherwise damaged other than the puncture, it might be possible to repair it with a plug which would be very simple. But I never got that far, though. Never even got out of the driveway.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes, that's definitely right on the use of a plug. I pulled that nail out and the Stan's tubeless sealant seemed like it would seal the nail hole. However, not wanting to risk it, I put a plug in the hole 10 minutes later...see pic. I wore that tire out with the plug in place with no problem.

Redpillar, it comes with its own built-in rim lock attached to the hardshell.

Attached Thumbnails Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting-tire-plug.jpg   Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting-neutech-2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

subscribed for future reference... Thanks OP

Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just a quick heads up, I forgot to mention this important detail the first go around, but I went back and edited the original post to include it.

Don't forget to periodically go back and check the torque on the rim lock nuts. They tend to work themselves loose over time. I just checked mine from a set that I did a while back and they were way loose. An overly loose rim lock is like having no rim lock at all = flat tire. Also, this reinforces the need for a torque wrench - eliminate the guesswork, make sure they are tightened the right amount.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey NoBrakes, did you use size 1.6 in the front?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Holy hell, I just put a set of the ultra heavy duty tubes on and put on a single rim lock. The tubes are so freakishly thick I didn't think I was going to be able to thread it between the tire and tube. Lol......not to mention pulling the valve stem through.

I'll run this setup for a bit with the D606 tires and see how it goes......thanks for the information.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Hey NoBrakes, did you use size 1.6 in the front?
Yes. If in doubt, the rim lock size should be stamped on the rim near the valve stem hole.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

More good info.