Pro Honda Off-Road Motorcycle Flat Proof Tire Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Question Pro Honda Off-Road Motorcycle Flat Proof Tire Sealant

So I bought a bottle of this stuff at the Honda dealer while waiting to have them mount Michelin Power Pures on my CBR rims.

I was planning to put them in my KLX tubes. It is supposed to seal minor punctures. Anyone ever use them? I suppose it's like Slime but since it is "made" by Honda for actual dirtbikes and fully endorsed for their XRs & CRs, I feel better about it than Slime. Even though it's Honda Red and not Kawasaki Green like Slime, lol.

My question is, is there any downside to using the stuff? Does it even work?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

if its like slime, i would stay away. that type of stuff causes more headaches than it cures. it rarely truely works, it adds weight to your rotating mass, makes on hell of a mess on the inside of your tires. imagine trying to change a tube in the middle of no where and you have about 8 oz of this sticky green mess everywhere getting on about everything. i have never seen slime or fix-a-flat ever really "fix" a leak, only slow it down (stuff only works when the car is in motion or recently in motion, otherwise it puddles in the bottom).

Old 08-08-2010, 02:40 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've come to the personal conclusion that nothing will ultimately seal a tube inside a tire. Tubes are relatively thin and stretchy, and even a gooey, fibrous sealant will only do so much to seal something and pliable and thin as a tube. Sealants start to work a lot better on tubeless setups where you've got a carcass that has some substance to it and actually might seal up a puncture. I've worked part time for many, many years at a motorcycle shop and a bicycle shop to pay for all my bad habits, and I've messed with tube and tubeless setups of all kinds. Tubes aren't worth messing with sealant IMO.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Years ago I used a product called Zoosh.
(well I think thats what it was called)..

It was supposed to inflate the tube and fill in small holes at the same time.
Didn't really work as anything other that the smallest hole would be too much.

Now it's just ultra heavy duty tubes and a prayer.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Tubes are relatively thin and stretchy, and even a gooey, fibrous sealant will only do so much to seal something and pliable and thin as a tube. Sealants start to work a lot better on tubeless setups where you've got a carcass that has some substance to it and actually might seal up a puncture.
Yes that makes a lot of sense and would be my theory as well.

It is very interesting that many bicycle tubes now come pre-treated with slime.

The Pro Honda stuff is much thinner than slime. It is more liquidly than the goo like slime.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction

Now it's just ultra heavy duty tubes and a prayer.

Yeah no question that a UHD tube is a must have!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Some of you may remember that I've been running the Nuetech tubeless setup on my KLX for close to a year now. I've worn through one set of tires and am on my second set running tubeless. I've had zero problems and obviously no flats. I went ahead and ran some tubeless Slime...not tubed type...and when I pulled the worn out tires off, there were cactus and mesquite thorns imbedded in the tire carcass. Hard to say exactly how much help the Slime was in this case, but I'm relatively sure I would have had at least a slow leak. This time I put Stan's sealant in the new tires to see how it works. It's outstanding stuff on tubeless mountainbike tires. I expect it to work as well as the Slime and perhaps not quite as messy when taking off the dead tires. Slime and other sealants seem to do well on tubeless setups. Most ATV people with tubeless setups who run in thorn country won't go out without some kind of sealant.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Most guys I know run slime as lubricant in the tubliss system. I've seen many flats when sharp rocks cut the tire. The slime never sealed and a plug kit usually slows it enough to air back up a few time to "get out". The slime probably does work good on thorns and needle though.

Slime in your tube? might help, bit don't ask to borrow my gauge

Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

On my off road bike I went to UHD tubes and slime and said goodbye to flats. I also ran the air pressure up more than most folks. I use it and the flats stopped happening. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

I'll be putting it in the KLX when the time comes to take the stock tires off.

It stopped a leak in my tractor tire recently. The tubeless tire would go flat overnight and after sliming it, it hasn't needed air all summer. Tractor tires take lots of slime.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Most guys I know run slime as lubricant in the tubliss system. I've seen many flats when sharp rocks cut the tire. The slime never sealed and a plug kit usually slows it enough to air back up a few time to "get out". The slime probably does work good on thorns and needle though.

Slime in your tube? might help, bit don't ask to borrow my gauge
LOL!...no kidding on the guage deal, Rim. I keep telling the kids at the shop to hit/tap the valve with something on either a schrader or presta valve before sticking the guage on the valve. This helps a lot to clear the valve stem of built-up sealant that usually goes right into the guage otherwise. At home I usually hit the valve with a blast of air from the chuck on my compressor equipped air tank. This always clear the stem of goo. I'm trying Stan's sealant in my Nuetech setup this go-around. It works wonders in MTB tires. I'm leaving in the AM for 2+ weeks in the Silverton, Ouray, Telluride CO area. Just me...camping in the forest...and riding the snot out of the KLX.

Quick Reply: Pro Honda Off-Road Motorcycle Flat Proof Tire Sealant