Return to Folly Beach, SC...2 years later...aka "The No Kickstand Tour"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha! That made me laugh out loud at work! Yeah, I checked today while out running errands. 39,580 miles...the bike looks it right now!
Oil is seeping from my homebrew block off plate, valve cover gasket, and at the base of the crankcase breather tube. The first two were present but not significant, the latter is most likely due to vaporizing the oil with the hours on end 8000rpm riding, all with a hose and clamp that are due to be replaced. I think my concern of burning oil might be premature considering the leaks and high rpm riding. I was hoping to hit 50,000mi before a rebuild...we'll see.
And the dirtiness caused by the leaks are not even considering 2500 miles of flung off chain lube and dirt. This was the bikes last big ride before a quick tear down to address the rust from winter riding and to replace some parts...
My post trip rides have netted a pretty solid 50+mpg, so I'm pretty sure being packed like a pack mule, while riding at the throttle stop, and into a headwind might have drastically dropped my mpg.

This bike has suffered greatly under my ownership. Always ridden hard, and often put away wet and salty! I maintain it mechanically, it runs perfect, but the years of winter commuting have started to show...much sanding and paint, and many new bolts are in my future.

Looking for a header solution now. I could wrap it. Or find a heat shield that clamps on, if that exists...