Rerouting vent tube on carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rerouting vent tube on carb?

I want to reroute my vent tube on the carb because my bike stalls when I try to ride through water that is over the crank case. I found some instructional videos for the klr 650 and they say to tee the tube off and make sure that one end is still pointed down while rerouting the other end up by the top of the air box. Can you just reroute the vent tube up by the air box? Why do you need to tee it and still have one end pointing down?
My second question is I noticed that there is another tube on the other side(opposite the choke side), do I need to reroute this as well?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtbcrossover
I want to reroute my vent tube on the carb .... Can you just reroute the vent tube up by the air box? Why do you need to tee it and still have one end pointing down?
You can do it and it'll work, but it's just not advised. I think it has something to do witht he fact that those tubes will also drain excess fuel away if/when you fall and the carb floods. If you just put the tubes to the airbox, after picking your bike up the tubes will have fuel in them which will block the tube and have the same effect as when you ride through deep water. Eventually the fuel in the line will evaporate away and you'll be able to start again, but it will be a hassle compared to doing the T-joiner (or Y-joiner).

It is so easy and cheap that I am not sure what your hang-up with doing it is? You don't even need to take the carb off to do it.

Originally Posted by mtbcrossover
My second question is I noticed that there is another tube on the other side(opposite the choke side), do I need to reroute this as well?
I did it - again, it's so cheap and easy that I don't see why you wouldn't do it.