vent hose rerouting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default vent hose rerouting

hi, I tried to find mods to make bike a submarine but links are broken. Could you please tell me which hoses and how to reroute for river crossing. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

You have two clear hoses off of the carb...one is a fuel overflow, one is an air vent. The only thing you have to do is go to a spot lower than the carb, and put a "T" connector inline in the air vent tube. Make sure that vent tube maintains a continuous downward route away from the carb to it's open exit point behind the engine. Add another tube to the open connection and run it up higher than your airbox top. It doesn't have to get higher than that, because if your engine is deep enough to be sucking water in the air filter, you're going to stop anyway. I prefer to keep it inboard and centered, because, although I've never done it, it's known that bikes form a bit of a wake when going fast enough through deep water...which can provide an air pocket inboard, allowing the bike to keep running even if the water on the outside of the bike is higher than the airbox inlet. I usually just coil this line up on top of my air box. It's extra length gives me an easy siphoning tube, in case someone needs to borrow fuel from another bike out on the trail.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I went through the manual but couldnt find exact definition of the vent hose. Could somebody post a picture or more explicit identification of the vent hose, please!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

There are 3 pipes that come out of the carb and are routed through to the bottom of the bike (near the rear suspension). Just be safe and put T joiners on all 3 pipes and put the hoses that come off that through into the airbox. Job done.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
There are 3 pipes that come out of the carb and are routed through to the bottom of the bike (near the rear suspension). Just be safe and put T joiners on all 3 pipes and put the hoses that come off that through into the airbox. Job done.
uh.... one of those tubes is the carb drain bowl. That doesnt need a T. Comes from the very bottom of the carb bowl. The two vent lines are kind see through ish on either side of the carb.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

by the way, why not just to reroute them into the airbox? why to mess with all T-connectors?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Good question. I think because you want the Y-vents up high as possible, and you don't want them to dump fuel and vapors into the airbox in case of a big upsidedowner. Backfire? Maybe also because you don't want any vacuum pulled on the vents, which if they were in the air box could happen. They should normally spill down, but be able to vent up high on a water crossing. Because that's the way it's done? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-12-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexgg
by the way, why not just to reroute them into the airbox? why to mess with all T-connectors?
Yea if that wasnt 100% clear from IDRIDR's post. The same lines you need to T are the lines that dump the gas out of the carb bowl when you lay the bike down, so if it was just rerouted up they probably wouldnt dump the gas completely. and i wouldnt want gas dumping anywhere near the hot exhaust. T'ing the line is the best answer.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

strange... anyway, I rerouted both clear tubes. One was 5mm and other 6mm of diameter. Had to use different T...

Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexgg
If they are routed into the air box the negative pressure will play havoc with the fuel level in the carb.

Ron

Quick Reply: vent hose rerouting