Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The kx plates definitely have a greater surface area, thanks for the information. I forgot where I read about using kx fiber plates.

The ebc springs loose their tension in no time, plates are fine. Barnett springs have been trouble free.

Looking back I should have replaced the 'judder' plate also when replacing the fibre plates. Less parts to fail...

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

WAY TO TAKE IT OUT AND BEAT IT!!!
good information here

Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Couple questions from a clutch rookie here,

What is a Judder plate?

How many fiber plates are in our clutches? That bikebandit microfiche only shows three, but maybe they omitted others for clarity in the drawing.

Wouldn't more surface area equate to less "grip" in the clutch? More surface area means less pressure per square inch on each plate. Similar to the fact that a 6000 pound elephant puts less pressure on the ground than a 110 pound woman does walking in high heel shoes. The difference in the clutch wouldn't be much , but theoretically speaking it should be less, not more. yes? no?
Thanks, Dan

Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

What is a Judder plate?

How many fiber plates are in our clutches? That bikebandit microfiche only shows three, but maybe they omitted others for clarity in the drawing.

Wouldn't more surface area equate to less "grip" in the clutch? More surface area means less pressure per square inch on each plate. Similar to the fact that a 6000 pound elephant puts less pressure on the ground than a 110 pound woman does walking in high heel shoes. The difference in the clutch wouldn't be much , but theoretically speaking it should be less, not more. yes? no?
Thanks, Dan
Ya, what the heck is a Judder plate?

There's seven friction plates. Stock and EBC kit.

I'm with you on psi. But if you look at classic static friction, Friction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia surface area doesn't matter. It does for kinetic friction (think big tires on the rail car).

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

What is a Judder plate?

Thanks, Dan
My understanding is that more surface results in less pressure per square inch but more force in total, which is what would count as far as wear and slip is concerned. Yet the most noticeable effect could be easier feathering.

I don't know about "Judder" plate and would be interested to know too...

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, IRDR beat me to it.

Yes, friction can be a complex subject, and consider in addition there is oil between disks and plates. Thinking of it, I am pleasantly surprised how a wet clutch works fine for a motorcycle.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Guys, RMATV has some instructional videos. Just looked at the clutch rebuild one and it shows the judder plate. I think DirtRider or Dirtbikemagazine may also have shop videos. PlanetKLX website talks about using KX125 plates. Not sure what year KLX 250 they are putting them in, so use that info at your own risk. From their home page click on FAQS. Hope that helps. Good Luck ! Later

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

TransWorldMotocross also has some videos. Maybe check those out.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

It is the plate that judd nelson used to eat from on the breakfast club, his friends call him the judder….no?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

friction is a product of pressure and area, yes more area equals less pressure,but more force overall... same principle with fluid power systems such as hydraulics, less force but on a larger area at the cost of increased fluid flow. Same as Raycour mentioned, this is nice info on the kx plates though. Will definitely keep that in mind... so u could use the kx plates and stock springs to get more grip with still a light clutch poll, correct?

Quick Reply: Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett