Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett

OK , first off , I'm not sure I need to replace my clutch, I'm not sure that I notice real slipping, maybe a little but I don't know. I am thinking it won't hurt to do it, even if it's preventative. Four years of hard riding, and an upgrade the 351 about two years ago have put some abuse on the ol girl.
I know the recommendation is for the EBC dirtracer clutch kit, but using the Barnett springs.
I have read that the EBC springs are a little weak (cuzlarry), but what is the issue with Barnett's plates? They both sell complete replacement kits. I think adding the Barnett springs to the EBC kit only adds about twenty dollars to the whole cost of the clutch rebuild, but I'm just curious what issues people have had with Barnett's full kit. ? Cuz Larry?
Thanks Dan

KF search results on "clutch springs" some good ones in there. Kawasaki Forums - Search Results

Barnett kit
Barnett Performance Products | Products | Clutch Plates & Springs

EBC kit www.perfectbrakes.com - buy EBC Brakes products online

Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

im going to try just barrnett springs on stock plates (if they are within spec otherwise i will try the usual spring ebc mix).Ill let you know once i get it together and the snow melts (april ugghh).

Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I never tried the full barnett kit because it's like $140 compared to EBC's $70.

Add in the springs and it was under $100 for full kit.. I'm sure it's good, but the EBC dirt racer + Barnett springs works real well so I never saw a need to experiment further.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I can feel the stiffer springs in my left hand.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

@ cuz larry Ahhhh! makes sense. I didn't look at the prices for the Barnetts.
@IDRIDR you mean that you can feel the difference between the EBC and Barnetts, right?
@stro , yeah post up the results here. By April I will probably already have done springs and plates, but It will be good info for others.

Thanks, guys.
Dan

Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
@ cuz larry Ahhhh! makes sense. I didn't look at the prices for the Barnetts.
@IDRIDR you mean that you can feel the difference between the EBC and Barnetts, right?
@stro , yeah post up the results here. By April I will probably already have done springs and plates, but It will be good info for others.

Thanks, guys.
Dan
I can feel the diff between the stock clutch and the EBC Dirtrider with Barnett Springs. Never put the EBC springs in. Want them? I'll send em for the cost of postage .

Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I can feel the diff between the stock clutch and the EBC Dirtrider with Barnett Springs. Never put the EBC springs in. Want them? I'll send em for the cost of postage .
Ahhh! "left hand" = clutch lever................give me a minute, I'll catch up
I thought you were maybe saying you could actually feel the difference between the EBC and the Barnetts when you squeezed them in your bare hand.

Thanks! Very nice of you to make that offer, but I think I am going to do the whole works, just as you and Cuz, and some others have done. With the beating I give that bike, I think it might be a good idea. Might as well put everything in as long as the tranny is opened up.
You should keep them for spares.

Did any of you guys need to replace the gasket on the transmission cover?

Dan

Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I just received my springs and plates, my question is, Is the clutch grabby with the stiffer springs in there. I guess cuz has the most miles on this set up. My stock clutch is not slipping but I do want to make sure that it does not happen later on.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh! "left hand" = clutch lever................give me a minute, I'll catch up
you got it

Did any of you guys need to replace the gasket on the transmission cover?
I did. The kick start kit came with gaskets for everything. I didn't do the water pump because it looked very good and is the easiest thing to get to if it leaks.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I just received my springs and plates, my question is, Is the clutch grabby with the stiffer springs in there. I guess cuz has the most miles on this set up. My stock clutch is not slipping but I do want to make sure that it does not happen later on.
I wouldn't say it's grabby from a start on the flat, or at least not much more than before. The springs just pulled on the clutch lever more than I was used to. Haven't had it in anything rough yet.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-05-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett