Replacement clutch. EBC vs Barnett

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

How's the clutch coming along? Any updates for us?

Originally Posted by atleastbehandy
It's done. I'm now running the full Barnett kit: plates, friction plates, and springs.

First impressions are good. There is no judder added (which I've experienced in other 'performance' clutches).

Here's the stock clutch. Notice the top friction plate sits in separate grooves. This keeps the pack lifted up so it doesn't hit the bottom of the basket.

And here are the stock plates removed. Notice the dimpled surface on the plates.

Next we have the Barnett friction plates. These have much more area than stock as the pads are larger. Per instructions, i marinated these overnight in some delicious Castrol Actevo.

Here are the Barnett plates. Not too interesting. However, they lack the dimpled surface of the OEM plates. I wondered if this would reduce friction, as the surface is more rough on the OEM plates, or if it would increase friction, as less oil would be trapped between the friction plates and the metal plates.

And finally we have the likely culprit: springs. Well there's the problem! The EBC springs are noticeably thinner gauge wire than the Barnett springs. This results in fewer turns (EBC = 9 vs. Barnett = 8), and a stiffer spring. Also, the Barnett springs were 1mm taller.

I'll come back to this thread in 3 months or so with an update.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Still working great

Thanks for the reminder! The clutch is still working great. I think it does have a little less slip when feathering. This can result in some jerky starts. But it's usually when I first leave... so it may be that I'm not releasing the clutch smoothly or the issue goes away once the clutch is warm.

Originally Posted by outrecording
How's the clutch coming along? Any updates for us?