Question regarding muffler/headpipe/jetting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I read up a little last night and will continue to do so. Tonight I will delve onto the needle, and most likely post up for advice/confirmation before ordering anything.
Re: header. I used to tig quite a bit when I was younger, and do metal working projects, so I'm confident I could fix that thing. It really is an issue of time, workshop space, and tools etc now. I will make something work, it won't be too soon though !!!!!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Wish I knew how to TIG. I didn't do too good with wire feed, seems I could get good settings, but the flash was bright enough that, even with the hood and all, I couldn't follow where I needed to go. Maybe with more play and practice it would work better for me. But like you, it's all about time.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I have never messed with this kind of carb before. I will look it up, but any advise for me in terms of removing the needle? can do in frame like the twist to remove the bowl trick? Thanks!!

Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Look at the KLX250 cheap mods link. Has tips.

I don't remember if the slide can be pulled in frame, but I think it might be possible. You just have to look and try. Pulling it from the frame, the hardest part is getting the air box boot back on.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Yes you can pull the slide with the carb still on. I just did it. I had to rotate the carb one way to remove one bolt, then rotate the other way to remove the other 3. Just make sure your needle drops down into the needle seat before bolting the top on. It's a little tricky getting it to drop in since the carb is at an angle. Just take your time.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I ended up removing the tank which gave easy access to the top of the carb. I will include pictures rather than try to explain, as a lot of this carb talk still goes over my head. Let me know what you think if you will, thanks!!!!!

ETA...Im not sure the identity of this needle(stock vs DJ?) but the C clip is on the middle notch, with 3 washers stacked on top of it.

Edit#2, after looking at the pics in the "cheap mods" link in klx678 sig line, I don't think my needle is stock, the author references a n1-tc needle, that although is adjustable with notches, in the picture it has a "shoulder" that my needle does not have.

Attached Thumbnails Question regarding muffler/headpipe/jetting-img_7528.jpg   Question regarding muffler/headpipe/jetting-img_7529.jpg  

Last edited by xcrcarpenter; 05-07-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
With your current mods, for max power, near sea level, you'll need a DJ140 or K152 main jet, a DJ needle, and #40 pilot jet. You can find all the information about such items in here..

You probably already have a DJ needle in your CVK. It will need to have the clip moved to the top notch (1N) and the two DJ washers super glued on top of the clip..

Add in the other items, pull the airbox lid, and feel the goodness...
If I am able to confirm that the needle I have (pictured above) is in fact a DJ, then I should do as advised by Klxster and move the clip to the top notch and add two of my washers in addition to that, then resemble (carefully) making sure that the rubber diaphragm seats evenly and correctly.....
Then order jets from DJ....

Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that's the DN0228 needle from the DJ2152 kit. I can't tell because you left all the washers on it.. It is certainly NOT the DNO352 needle from the DJ2206 kit..

So, here, you tell me.. Left to right, DN0228, N1TC, Stock..

Attached Thumbnails Question regarding muffler/headpipe/jetting-bogw153.png  

Last edited by Klxster; 05-07-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the one on the left, the DN0228. Definitely not the other two. Has 5 notches, clip is on the middle with 3 washers stacked on top. Would you agree, topmost notch, add two washer above that and reassemble?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, with a DJ140 or a K152 (Keihin) main jet, and stock slide spring, leave off the airbox lid..

However, until you get the DJ140/K152, better put it back together as is..

Quick Reply: Question regarding muffler/headpipe/jetting