push-pull throttle kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default push-pull throttle kit?

I am looking for a "thinner" push-pull throttle assembly to replace the stock one on my 2009 KLX250SF and to separate the right controls from the throttle (currently everything is embedded within the same plastic housing) so I could relocate the start button and have nothing but the throttle on the right and the front brake.

Anyone have tried anything like it?

Would this one fit? How much of a PIA is it to do this mod?
Motion Pro - Throttle, Push-Pull Chr

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

This is semi-related...
I also have an '09 bike, but I'm in the process of converting to a Motion Pro Vortex throttle (single cable). The angle of rotation is quite small with the Vortex on this bike, something like only 1/5 turn. But that's not what you're asking about anyway...

In order to seperate the kill switch and starter button from the throttle housing, I'm splicing in a start button and kill button from an '08 KLX450. I'm taking pictures along the way to explain, I should have it complete later tonight.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Post pics please... I am very interested in seeing what you are doing.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you share a pic of the '08 KLX450 kill switch/start button?

:-)

Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 KLX250S Right switchgear change

I'll start by saying this isn't necessarily the cleanest or easiest way to change the switchgear on the '09+ models to suit a throttle housing swap. Alternatives for an integrated switch housing (but still separate from the throttle) would be sourcing an '08 ('07 in the US) or earlier switch housing. I think KLR650 also use that style switchgear. I'm sure there are aftermarket alternatives as well.

I chose to use the '08 KLX450 start and kill buttons for several reasons:
One, they were cheap (used).
Two, I wanted a dedicated push-and-hold to kill button and independent start button. As soon as the kill button is released, the bike can run again.
Three, I wanted the start button to be powered seperately, rather than running through the on/off rocker switch first.
Four, I like the possibilities of moving the switches around on the bar to accomodate other items.
Five, there's a possibility that I may ditch the lefthand switchgear, in which case I'd likely move the kill switch to the left hand side of the bars. In case you're wondering, that's the way the KLX450 is set up, but it doesn't have the horn/headlight/blinker switchgear to deal with.

In reality, combined with the vortex throttle housing, these seperate buttons take up just as much room on the bar as the original integrated throttle/switchgear housing, and they require a longer stretch my hand off the throttle (especially the start button). I have them set up this way because I want (and feel you should always have) immediate access to these two functions without removing your hands from the bars. The way it's set up now is still not ideal...but hey, this whole bike is a work in progress anyway.

There are also a number of ways/places that the harness splices could have been made. There's certainly a better way, but it would require new wire, proper end connectors, and the correct tool. I just did it this way because it was cheap, easy and quick.

The final product installed:

Another final installed:

The original KLX250S right switchgear wiring harness (with part of the protective jacket peeled back) next to the KLX450 parts. Note that the wire color coding is identical between the KLX250S and KLX450 parts; only the KLX250S has a splice where the front brakelight switch takes its power.

Unneeded wires cut out of KLX250S harness.

KLX450 switches spliced into KLX250S harness, and power wire for front brakelight switch extended.

All taped back up and ready to install.

Last edited by Lutz; 06-02-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

That was pretty much what I was looking to do... And by moving the start button somewhere else, it would end up being thinner than stock :-).

How did you replace the push-pull system to a single cable system (on the carb side)?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, if you're not concerned with getting to the start button with both hands on the bars, it can be moved to save space.

The single pull throttle was easy, relatively (the wiring mods were the hard part). I only had to make/modify one part to make that work. The "push" part of the push pull setup is really just a backup to pull the throttle closed in the case it sticks open. Unless the carb is stuck open, the push cable does nothing. I won't debate the necessity of the push pull setup, but I don't think it is necessary for me on my bike (I have the clutch, kill button, and brakes as backup for a stuck throttle...and I hope the brains and muscle memory to use them when needed).

I ordered the Vortex throttle assembly. I removed the original pull cable from the bike, and moved the original push cable to the pull cable position. Then I took an adjuster bolt and nut off of another old throttle cable (off a KDX200 of all things). I used a thin grinder disk (whizzer wheel) and vise to cut a slot in the nut and bolt so the cable could slide through the side (similar to a clutch adjuster setup); I also drilled the end of the bolt to a larger diameter so the KLX cable end fit into it. From there, it was a simple put-it-all together.