Oil drain plug width

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
I'm rebuilding my KLX after a balance shaft bearing failure, one thing I noticed is the oil pump is damaged due to the metal particles that fitted through the brass gauze being pump though the motor, a magnetic sump plug will not stop all the particles but will give you a good indication that something is not right at oil change time, the magnet in the filter will catch the metal that the filter would have caught anyway.
I started doing this on my first oil change - brand new engine (80 miles at first oil change). When I pulled the factory filter, I notices sparkly flecks in the paper folds. That's when I got the idea to slap a magnet onto the filter. I've done 2 more oil changes since putting the magnet on the filter. No more flecks in the paper - they're caught before they get to it. When I change the oil, I just wipe off any metal stuck to the magnet and stick it back onto the new filter. This way I STILL get an indication of the amount of metal pumping through the system, AND it stops it before it cycles through a second time... (and, it's free).

Think about it:
I can't imagine the drain plug magnets do anything at all, except for catching a few suspended particles when the bike is PARKED. With the engine running, only a tiny fraction of the oil will be passing anywhere near the oil plug. The engine would have to be stopped for anything to settle close enough to the drain plug for the magnet to attract the particles, and even then, any particles beyond the field of the magnet will remain in the oil.

If your oil pump was damaged by metal particles as you say it was, then your oil filter was NOT doing its job! I'm guessing it was probably a K&N or some other non-paper (i.e. metal mesh "reusable") oil filter.