Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Drain Plug

So I just finished up changing my oil and drilling the 1/2 in hole in the muffler and take the bike out for a quick rip, maybe 10 minutes or so. As I'm coming home...i notice that my rear brake isnt working very much/at all. I get home onto my driveway and look down and see stuff spraying. I panic and turn off the bike and now got a sweet pool of oil on my driveway. I suppose i should feel lucky since there was still plenty of oil in the bike so no harm (i hope) was done. Anyway yeah, being the genius I am didnt tighten the bolt enough or at all, and now its gone.

Anyone know the size of that bolt and washer? I'm thinking maybe my parts store will have one of those fancy magnetic ones, but until then i might have to head to home depot or something. Also anyone got any good tips to clean up the mess on the back end of my bike, namely the brakes?

So embarassed right now....

Old 06-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil Drain Plug

Suck! Glad it was not worse then just some spilled oil. I would say get a new one from the dealer just so there is no mishap with f-ing up the threads or something.

Go buy a loto ticket

Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Just buy a spray can of brake cleaner for the mess, and I agree...get a factory drain plug tomorrow and a new washer/gasket.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I would get a magnetic drain plug if you can find one before you need to ride again. Most of the big aftermarket catalog motorcycle companies have them like Rocky Mountain, Dennis Kirk etc. I have also seen them on e-bay. Your dealer may also have them. I guy I ride with got his from an auto parts store like Napa or Autozone, can't remember which one.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't feel bad, on my first bike (87' 250r ninja) when I changed the oil for the first time, it had the oil sight glass on it. The oil that was in it was very dirty and you could see it very well in the window. After dropping the old oil and filter and filling it back up I must have not noticed that the oil level had gone up past the top of the windowand because it was so clean I kept filling waiting for it to appear in the window. Well after about twice the amount that was supposed to go in I still couldn't figure out why I didn't see any oil in the window, so I stopped filling it up because I already had way more in it then it called for. Took it for a test drive afterwards, well lets just say that all of the extra oil went some where. By the time that I made it home I too had noticed that the rear brake was not working and that there was oil all over the back tire. It must nave pushed it out of the breather or something. Lesson learned, put in the amount that they say.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

four stroke works sells a magnetic drain plug for the KLX300 - i bought one - works well.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice Kawi!!! they ship that up to Canada fairly quick?? I noticed your sporting the leaf.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

FSW = Jerry Leighton formerly of Stroker Inc. He's a god when it comes to KLX300 engine mods...
He knows his stuff, but is a hard fellow to get a hold of.
http://www.fourstrokeworks.biz/

It was a while back, but I don't think I had to wait too long for shipping.
It's just hard to reach them on the phone (it's a small business out of their home).

Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

So I called around all over the place and the best anyone could do was get a plug in a week to ten days (bunk). So I ordered a magnetic one for the KLX300 (hope it fits). Thanks for all your responses, I bet you I wont forget to tighten that effing thing again.[>:]

Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

So I just finished up changing my oil and drilling the 1/2 in hole in the muffler and take the bike out for a quick rip, maybe 10 minutes or so. As I'm coming home...i notice that my rear brake isn't working very much/at all. I get home onto my driveway and look down and see stuff spraying. I panic and turn off the bike and now got a sweet pool of oil on my driveway. I suppose i should feel lucky since there was still plenty of oil in the bike so no harm (i hope) was done. Anyway yeah, being the genius I am didn't tighten the bolt enough or at all, and now its gone.

Anyone know the size of that bolt and washer? I'm thinking maybe my parts store will have one of those fancy magnetic ones, but until then i might have to head to home depot or something. Also anyone got any good tips to clean up the mess on the back end of my bike, namely the brakes?

So embarrassed right now....
Steller d.... Sounds like you got luckly on that one. Thank god all that happened is you got a little mess to clean up. As far as the back brakes go I had a fork seal leak when the bike was new and the dealer replaced the seal and the front brake pads I askedthe mechanic why did you replace the front pads they were brand new. He said,a littlefork oil got onto the pads and once the oil gets on the pads they are NO GOOD! The pads will absorb the oil and you can never get them clean. This was all under warranty and atno cost to me. I don't know if the mechanic is right or not so take this for what its worth. I just thought I would give you a heads up. Good luck

Quick Reply: Oil Drain Plug