Not so Newby

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Not so Newby

Hello all. I've been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years, most of it off-road including desert racing in the Mojave in the 70s and 80s. I now live in Southwest Washington state and have been building and riding trails in the mountains and deserts of Oregon and Washington. For two reasons I decided to give up pure dirt bike riding and try dual-sport; 1) Loss of trails due to logging of my local riding area and environmentalist victories, and 2) approaching my 70th birthday in June I find I just don't have quite what it takes to enjoy riding gnarly single track as much as I used to.

Last November I found a 2009 KLX 250s on Craigslist that was too good to pass up. Besides selling for way less than list price, it had a full Muzzy system, skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, luggage rack and new Pirelli tires (along with the originals), and only 644 miles. Pristine with no dings. First thing I did was lower it an inch due to my 5 ft 5 in stumpy height. The seat is about 2 inches lower than my dirt bike was and really helps.

I live on the western edge of the Gifford Pinchot national forest and close to the Yacolt Burn state forest. There are miles and miles of street-legal-only forest roads that are within a short road ride from my house, but until today they were mostly under snow. We have had a short warm, dry spell that got me out for the first time on the KDX today. I did 115 miles, and I had a BLAST. The bike is a bit heavier than my dirt bike, but the suspension is really good, at least for the rocky, rutted, potholed roads I was riding and my 145 lb weight. I sure do love that electric start and filling up with regular gas by driving up to the pumps at a station along the way. I really look forward to the snow free months in the mountains and a whole new world to explore.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Dual sporting is a lot of fun! You're going to be wishin you would of got into it years ago.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have another Washington rider on here. I've never been to the GP area, but working as a Maintenance Mechanic for the College of Forestry, I've heard about the area and have always wanted to get down there. My mom lives in Kelso, perhaps I can get down there and meet up and have you show me around. Have you rode in Central Oregon before? My cousin and I have been down there 2 years in a row. Here are the ride reports. Warning lots of pictures and even more juvenile behavior. LOL

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32818

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...sins+epic+ride

Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

deej,

I live east of Woodland, not too far from Kelso, so next time you are in the area let me know and maybe we can get together.

I've ridden China Hat a lot. In fact, the last race I rode was the Lobo's Fall Classic a couple of years ago. I didn't go at all last year, though. I guess the long drive to ride the same old trails was getting to be too much. The KLX should give me the opportunity to get out of the OHV trail system and explore some of the surrounding area, so I am planning on going back with some of my riding budds.

I don't know if your aware of the Washington Back Country Discovery Route, but it is an "epic ride" I plan to do this summer. If you ride it from south to north, the start in Carson can be reached from my house with an additional section of mostly forest roads. http://www.wabdr.com/

Last edited by McRider; 01-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I just hope when I'm your age I can still do this, even in my racing days I've kept a D/S bike and this is about as good as any I've had. We've got snow here also (So. Indiana) so nothing to do but work on the bike, I'm so ready to put the new stuff to good use it's silly. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.