New rider needs some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
ktn
Default New rider needs some advice!

Hey guys...I'm a new rider with a new KLX and new to your board. Looks like a really good board BTW, congrats.

For better or worse, I gave the new bike a 50 mi. "vigorous" break in on the road and have put about 100 mi on sandy south jersey trails. I'm not a great rider but I've noticed that the power seems to be coming on now as it gets a little more broken in.

All in all, I really like the KLX...except for the factory tires. Since I plan on trailering over to where we ride and don't plan on a whole lot of road riding, what tires or set up changes would you make for sandy trails. I'm 190 pounds and I think I need to increase the preload, will this improve tracking, or not? It's really squirrely now and a little scary at speed. Should I change just the front tire or both?

I rode my friends Husky 510 and got a little taste of power this weekend...It got me thinking...what changes would you make first to boost the KLX's performance? I'm probably going to do it a little at a time.

Thanks, Kevin

Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New rider needs some advice!

Welcome to the KLX Family,

There is a ton of information on this forum, it may take some time to sift through. I would start by ordering some jets and needle. You can find the part numbers here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_34306/tm.htm

Once you get the parts we'll help you through the process of rejetting and performing the "grapevine mods".

You may also want to order a 13 tooth counter sprocket. It will help bring the KLX to life, especially off road. I ride quite a bit of sand and I'm pretty happy with my Kenda Trackmaster II's.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF!

As sullydirt says, check the old threads, some of which are linked in the moderators welcome message which is a sticky at the top of the forum. Also there, check out the common part numbers which has many many parts known to fit and work.

I consider the mods in several stages with a rough price and characterization of each stage:
[ul][*] stage 1: carb jetting, drill carb slide vent, airbox snorkel / breathing, drill crankcase vent, drill stock pipe, and 13 tooth front sprocket
price < $100, significant performance gains (improved throttle response and torque)
[*] stage 2: after market pipe (Muzzy, Big Gun, etc)
price ~ $400, moderate to significant performance gains, great sound
[*] stage 3: 300cc big bore kit
price ~ $500, significant performance gains (more torque)
[*] stage 3.3: 330cc overbore - requires 300cc cylinder already
price ~ $450, significant performance gains (even more torque)
[*] stage 4: pumper carburetor
price ~ $350 to $600, performance gains ???, reported to be very good with amazing throttle response
[/ul]
These, I think, are the rough break-down as I see it. There are other possibilities and variations also, such as Marty's PCV mod and also replacing the stock air filter with higher flow units. Not to mention that instead of a $400 aftermarket pipe, folks have had very good success with the KLX300 exhaust pipe for higher exhaust flow and better sound, similar to the more expensive after market ones. There is also some experimentation going on with the CDI unit and replacing it with one having more aggressive timing, but I don't think we have a verdict on that yet so I didn't include it above.

Currently, I'm at stage 3 above with stage 4 on back-order and just waiting for my shoulder to heal so I can take my 300cc cylinder off and do stage 3.3.

Oh, I should mention that there is probably nothing you can do to the KLX to make it like the TE510. That is one badass bike with some incredible dyno curves. Not to say you can't make the KLX into an ultra-fun machine, but it is just not in the same class as the TE.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 AM

i also ride in sand and like the trackmasters by kenda

Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Kevin, and don't listen to these guys a clean bike is a happy bike, (well at least the owner is happy)

Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

G'day and welcome Kevin,

I just put a Kenda K772 Carlsbad on the back of my bike and have been for 1 ride so far around 60 miles on and off road. This tyre is not road approved. I found it to much better than the 603 in mud and on the dirt esp under power. It had better traction and when it did break away was far more predictable than the stock tyre. It also can be mounted 2 different ways on the rim. mount it one way for intermediate terrain or reverse it for hard terrain.

Hope this helps

Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ktn

For better or worse, I gave the new bike a 50 mi. "vigorous" break in on the road and have put about 100 mi on sandy south jersey trails. I'm not a great rider but I've noticed that the power seems to be coming on now as it gets a little more broken in.

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

Welcome aboard the board.

So, what part of South Jersey are you riding? I've been down near Red Wing doing some riding many years ago. Aside from the temps, Florida riding shares a lot with New Jersey riding of that particular area. Lots of pine forest, mostly flat and lots of sand.

Glad you decided to come aboard.

As the others have already provided the info on mods, I hope you got all you wanted. If not, just let us know what we can do for you.