New chick rider needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Red face New chick rider needs advice

Hello all

I tend to do things on a whim, and that's exactly what happened recently when I came home with a 2009 Kawasaki KLXs. I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a child, but . . you may as well consider me a brand new rider.

I really love the bike, I do . . I just wish it had a little more 'give'. I rode my friend's Yamaha TW200 the other day and did great on it, but when I got on my bike I was having some issues.

I'm fairly tall, 5'7" to be exact. My feet do touch the ground when I'm on the bike, however I'm on my toes.

So my questions are:

1. Is there anything that can be done to lower the bike? Or is that something you never want to mess with?

2. Is there a way to 'soften' the bike up, so it isn't as stiff?

3. Should I just leave the bike alone and keep riding it, in hopes that I will simply get used to it?

I really thank you all in advance for any advice you may have.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

you can get lowering links to drop the bike a bit, but the first thing I would do is make sure your "sag" is adjusted properly.

if you don't know how to do that, search youtube, and there a several very good videos showing you how to do it. since you called yourself a "chick", i would think that you could find someone local (update your profile on this site so we know where you are from) to help you out :-)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

The lowering links will also soften the rear spring so it may become more compliant for you. Then as you get faster or more at home on the bike, you can remove the links and get the stock height and stiffness back.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Original setup is for 160# rider so if your less than that it may be stiff.

If you got the bike used it may have stiffer springs installed. You could ask the previous owner. Also the original rear spring is red so if you have another color spring chances are its stiffer. If you want an original spring let me know ill post it to you. I have the original fronts also.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

My '09 (bought new) came with a white rear spring. Are they specing the bikes differently in different markets? I'd trade for a heavier one; even pay postage for both.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

From the factory SF has a red soft spring. S model has white stiffer spring.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks HighBeam. Would you happen to know what the colour of the next stiffer after the white is?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike will settle quite a bit over time. You can lower the triple clamps down the forks an inch or so, and loosen off the preload on the shock a bit.That is all free.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM

jxg - Thanks for implying that I should use my -edited- to get my bike fixed *wink*

Stroker - I worry because I have had people tell me that you never want to mess with the 'geometry' of your bike.

Maninthesea - I am exactly 160lbs right now, and with the successful diet I'm dropping more every week. I don't know the previous owner of the bike - all I know is that he put a 'Big Gun' exhaust on the bike, then he 'jetted' it, rode 120 miles then I bought it. The spring on the back of the bike right now is white.

Redpillar - Thank you so much for your suggestion, but please talk to me like I am the chick that I am. What the hell are triple clamps hon?

Last edited by Piepie; 04-16-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are riding strictly on-road, you can lower it almost as much as you want by loosening the bolts that hold the fork tubes to the handlebar area. You can buy parts to lower the rear end of the bike. You need to lower them the same distance to maintain the proper geometry of the bike so that it handles the same.

However - a big part of the fun of this bike is the high ground clearance, which helps you ride over stuff. Being on tiptoes on this bike is OK because it is relatively light, and if you lean too far at a stoplight you probably won't drop it like you would a 500lb bike. I think you will quickly get used to the height. I used to have a 500lb bike where I was on my tiptoes (Suzuki V-Strom) and I got used to it pretty fast, so it can be done with a little practice and self-confidence.

The forks have adjustable compression and rebound settings. Look in your owner's manual and "soften" the compression for a more plush ride. Also, it helps to learn to raise your butt off the seat when you are about to hit an obstacle. On a bumpy trail you will want to be standing up a lot. This is also good exercise!

Quick Reply: New chick rider needs advice